Diesel tank o-ring seal

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

bmastror

Diesel tank o-ring seal

Post by bmastror »

Has anyone replaced the o-ring seal on top of their diesel tank? Mine seems to be leaking a bit. I tightened it down last year and that worked for a bit, but I think it is time for a replacement. Does anyone have the part number and/or know where to get the part?
TSweather

Re: Diesel tank o-ring seal

Post by TSweather »

If it is the large o-ring on the gauge/sender unit, I would check with the manufacturer of that part since they are usually sold together. I can't remember if it has a brand name visible or not, but if it doesn't I would take it off and bring the seal to a NAPA or comparable auto parts store as they usually stock o-rings that are approved for use with fuel.
On our previous boat with an aluminum fuel tank the stainless screws holding the sender unit had compromised the seal slightly thanks to electrolysis/dissimilar metals. I was able to re-tap the holes one size bigger and then used Permatex Permashield on the threads.

Good luck
bmastror

Re: Diesel tank o-ring seal

Post by bmastror »

Great - thanks! I also talked to my diesel mechanic. He said West Marine actually carries the part - it's called a tank sender gasket. There is only one way it can go in with the 5 screws. He recommended marking the tank with a Sharpie to ensure I get the alignment right with the new gasket. Hopefully I don't have an issues with the screws, but good to know there is a solution if I have a problem.