Trying to measure mast rake - no black band

Sail trim, rig tuning, and related topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

dbrousseau

Trying to measure mast rake - no black band

Post by dbrousseau »

I'm trying to measure mast rake on the 109 I recently acquired. North tuning guide says: "Rake: Swing Arc Use jib halyard pulled down to top of black band on mast, then swing forward to mark headstay. Measure distance from mark on headstay to deck at stem."

Sounds good but my mast was painted so there's no black band. Anyone have a measurement for the black band location on the mast? Or another rake measurement?

It appears that the headstay is the right length according to the tuning guide. But the backstay looks to be way too long as there is too much slack - the unit bottoms out. Rake, as measured by the main halyard hanging down with a weight on it and measuring from the back of the mast suggests there is far too much rake. So I have a conundrum here. Advice appreciated. Thanks
tkoetje

Re: Trying to measure mast rake - no black band

Post by tkoetje »

I can get you the black band measurement, but not til tomorrow.
do you have a 2003-4 build hull ? looks like you're using the 2004 uk north tuning guide ?
Vento Solare

Re: Trying to measure mast rake - no black band

Post by Vento Solare »

If you are looking for the lower measurement band on the mast, the top of the band should be even with the hole in the boom fitting that the mainsail tack is attached.