Additional Genoa Cars

How to make the boat go faster or compete within the Class.

Moderator: forumadmin

Dan Corcoran

Additional Genoa Cars

Post by Dan Corcoran »

1. As I will be flipping between different size genoa's this year as I accommodate JAM racing in my season, I am considering placing an additional genoa car after my existing cars where I can adjust it to follow at different lengths. I hear this is common on J-boats. Does this work well for anyone?

2. The harken cars are very expensive. Are there other cars that fit our track, simple car with just a single block and attachment points fore and aft?

Another way I might go is to have a set of different length control lines to swap in as needed.
Vento Solare

Re: Additional Genoa Cars

Post by Vento Solare »

The dual car arrangement is best to reduce the amount of control line movement and line in the cockpit. Unfortunately that approach was ruled as not class legal in this post, but you could remove the extra car for OD events.

I have lots of line in the cockpit and will probably do the dual car approach for PHRF racing.
Dan Corcoran

Post by Dan Corcoran »

Have you chosen a Genoa car? There seems to be many part number options. Which model did you go with?
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Dan,

The original Harken Midrange cars #1537 or equivalent will work. The track only accepts the non-captive bearings so if you get the newer replacement, you need to remove the metal clip that holds the torlon bearings in place, or replace the original track with the newer series track that has the slot for the wire. You need an attachment point fore and aft for the control line attachment.
Dan Corcoran

Post by Dan Corcoran »

Thank you.