replacing Mk3 furler with carbo foil

Topics about Class Rules and the RRS.

Moderators: forumadmin, Vento Solare

tc171

replacing Mk3 furler with carbo foil

Post by tc171 »

Hi,

I plan on replacing the forestay on my boat but since the furler is Mk3, it is proving hard to find the right parts and avoid replacing the furler.

Hence, I am considering the Carbo foil option. Is this allowed in class rules?

Thank you,
Tolga Cezik (Lodos #171)
Bengt J

Re: replacing Mk3 furler with carbo foil

Post by Bengt J »

The J boat specification is: Harken split-drum Unit 1.0 standard headsail furling system. Over the production run 2001 to 2012 this came as mk3 & mk4, both with the aluminum profile, the carbo option is not Class Legal.
tc171

Post by tc171 »

Thank you for your response. This is what I read on J/109 UK & Ireland Class Association web page (https://j109uk.com/2018/11/04/j-109-uk- ... ules-2019/)

"From 1st January 2021, the J/109 class rules will restrict the maximum size of headsail to an HLP of 4220mm. This is much less than the existing limit of 5880mm and effectively restricts the class to non-overlapping headsails. The rule will additionally permit the use of jib in-haulers and will permit owners to chose whether they will retain the furler and associated head foil or switch to a non-furling head foil system (such as Tuff Luff, Harken Carbo Foil or similar)."

Is there something similar in the works for NA?

--tolga
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Tolga - The UK & Ireland fleet had discussions a couple years back to roll back a previous decision that allowed them to have overlapping headsails. This was done in the interest of minimizing the cost of ownership so that people wouldn't need to buy both non-overlapping and overlapping jib for class racing. They used a two year phased in approach so those who already purchased sails would have the benefit of using them for limited time.

The head foil probably came about as the result of being able to swap headsails. Since they have moved back to a single jib, there probably isn't any benefit to having a dedicated foil without the furler.

The class measurer can add to this if he is aware of anything, but I know of no discussions about eliminating the furler and switching to just a head foil for the class rules.
Bengt J

Post by Bengt J »

Eliminating the furler is a performance issue and would force all boats to remove it for OD racing, therefore not allowed.