Spin sheets .....

Sail trim, rig tuning, and related topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

nc_109_driver

Post by nc_109_driver »

What are people using for spinnaker sheets? Are you splicing two sheets into one with a tail to tie to the chute or two separate sheets with a pig tail?

What length do you find best?

Post by Guest »

i have been using 2 seperate sheets but then connect them with a short peice of line (actualy left over fender line), however i want to get the 2 sheets spliced togehter so one line is tied to the chute. when the jib is down the current set up hangs up really bad considering how many knots are being passed over it..

[Posted by: dan
]
crash

Post by crash »

We use 2 separate lines. We roll the jib/genny, so have had no issue with the spin clew getting hung up. We douse into the foredeck hatch, and then just run the tapes, and set the head, tack and clew over the hatch edge and close the hatch till the next set. If everything works well, we can leave the sheets attached. Every now and again, one sheet needs to be re-led, and it seems easier and quicker to me to only have to un-tie one sheet to clear it. If spin sheets were spliced, you'd have to pull the whole sheet forward and re-lead it. Our sheets are probably about 70 ft have the front 15 -20 feet or so striped (cover removed) to lighten them some (lengths here are fuzzy as I have not actually measured them, so am giving only by best guess)

Post by Guest »

We do the same as Peter... furled headsail... simple bowlines at the clew using spin sheets [nice, but a bit too long]that came from J/Boats... forward hatch trick between runs. Works well with a windward douse.

[Posted by: Barry
]

Spin sheets .....

Post by Guest »

having the 2 knots may be good for having to only untie one knot to fix a snafu, but its a pain when using a turtle or setting up for a jibe set. also, roller furling is just boaring, give the foredeck something to do :D

also, i assume you mean that sheet gets caught under the spinnaker during the douse and thats why it would need to be relead?

[Posted by: dan]
crash

Post by crash »

Can't say we've done a gybe set yet, but not sure why two knots any worse then one. Roller furling may be boring...but I think the ability to re-deploy the jib/genny in the event of a screw up outweighs the weight savings benefit of not having it. Also is a OD requirement, so why bother with the hassle of removing the drum? Also I race with my kids alot (10 to 14 yrs old)and with folks newer to sailing alot, so we might be more prone to those occasional screwups!

Re: Spin sheets .....

Post by 35601 »

What diameter line and length are currently being used? What specific line is being used?
Dan Corcoran

Post by Dan Corcoran »

Your choice of line is more important than anything. While I don't know the answer, using a line that is less apt to kink and easy to grip is more important than anything else.
TSweather

Post by TSweather »

I agree with Dan that the type of line matters. We chose 8mm "Euro Endura Braid" for our spinnaker sheets. Total length required for the two sheets was 180ft. The J109 owners manual suggests 2x 85ft sheets, but I purchased more in case I messed up the taper or end splice.

We actually use the same line in a thicker diameter (10mm) for spin halyard, reef line, jib sheets, and main halyard. It is really good stuff with a standard Dyneema 12 strand core that is easy to splice.