Maine Coastal Cruising with the Family

Where, how, when, what, and why?

Moderator: forumadmin

Post by Guest »

My husband and I gave a talk at the JRendezvous over the weekend. We had a terrific time and it was fun to see so many JOwners!

A few questions came up after our presentation that I thought I would address here in the forum, just in case you are interested.

PROPANE: how much do you budget for cruising?
As a rule of thumb, we estimate that we use 1lb/person/week. That takes into account that we grill 50% of the time and cook the other 50%. This also takes into account that I may bake once or twice a week, or have a dish (lasagna) that needs baking. SO, for a 2 week cruise with 3 people, we would be fine with 6lbs of propane. Find a good local propane dealer and they WILL top off your tank for you!

THE BOO BOO BOX: We keep a separate water tight box (tupperware works too) that we keep everyday medical supplies in, such as: Bandaids and medications. To store small amounts of medications, you can go to Walmart and purchase "Ez Dose" zip lock bags that hold medications very nicely. Label the bag with the dosing instructions. This Box is intended to save your REAL medical kit from getting ransacked by well intentioned crew members!

CRUISING IN MAINE: Yes Virgina, we have Lobster Pots. We do our best in avoiding them, and if you have the MISFORTUNE of snagging one, CUT IT IMMEDIATELY. The reason for this is 2 fold: 1. Prevent damage damage to your boat, and 2. Lobsterman have an intricate payout of their traps and are set via GPS. This is done so that lobsterman don't cross each others traps. If you do not cut the warp immediately, then you risk many other Lobsterman's traps and not just one lobsterman's trap. Lobsterman would rather lose $300 in traps than thousands of dollars. REMEMBER: Penobscot Bay, while gorgeous, is full of lobster pot toggles. Never sail between a pot and its toggle.

If anyone is interested in a resource list from our presentation, let me know as I can email it to you!

Happy Spring! Maya

[Posted by: maya
]