Roller furling

Sail trim, rig tuning, and related topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

Post by Guest »

Hi, just curious to see if anyone uses roller furling when they are racing phrf and if they dont, do they keep the same foil on or swap it out for a tuff luff? I race phrf on tampa bay, against one other 109. I'm also shoal draft.
Dan (SA: mustang1) 201

[Posted by: Dan Goldman
]
crash

Post by crash »

Hi Dan,
We race PHRF on the Chesapeake, and we kept the same foil and use the furler. Having owned and raced other boats with a tuff luff, I have to admit that in the end, I think the ease of rolling up/unrolling the Genoa or jib (and hence less weight on the foredeck, and less chance for a mistake) more then makes up for the added weight and increased windage of the furler. We get no rating advantage from it, just makes sail-handling cleaner and faster. Just my two cents.

Post by Guest »

We race windward/leward PHRF with the furler (soooo easy), but sometimes remove (drop down) for point-to-point long distance races where headsail changes are likely. Planning to add a simple pre-feeder to the foil next season.

[Posted by: Barry
]
eric

Post by eric »

Has anyone ever installed a Harken Halyard Restrainer to prevent jamming of the roller furler? If so, would this be considered class legal?
sara736

Re: Roller furling

Post by sara736 »

We have a North 2A runner at 120, 3A VMG at 108, and 4A at 108 (both latter at class). PHRF in our area is 69 with the 120 chute. Seems to be fair. Given our wind, I can't imagine a larger sail would be worth the expense if it significantly affected our PHRF.
Subscribe for ccnp voice dumps training sessions to guarantee pass a+ practice exam - testking.co.uk. Also get free download link for the next davidson after getting success in www.unc.edu ccent training, you can find a wonderful job at mountwashington.edu .