Cracking / Crazing in bildge

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

jhollander

Cracking / Crazing in bildge

Post by jhollander »

Hi
I am looking to purchase the J/109 Knots 2 in San Francisco bay. The boat was a bank repo and has had a couple years neglect but the price is good. Of course I would survey the boat but I had one concern that I felt might be a non-starter. There is some cracking / crazing in the gellcoat in the bildge between the sink and nav table. I would describe it as spider cracks covering about 12 inches. Has anyone seen similar? Is this related to or an indication of the keel sump issues seen on some j109s?

Thanks in advance for any input. Any other J109s in The Bay?
Jesse
Vento Solare

Re: Cracking / Crazing in bildge

Post by Vento Solare »

This could be related to the keel sump issue. Last year hull 203 saw a similar issue and had the area professionally assessed with an IR camera for the depth of the crack and had support from J/Boats to review the data. It turned out that the sump did not have a top layer of woven glass mat, but was built with chopped strand on the surface. The area was ground out about 3/4", reglassed and gelcoat applied.
markamarine

Post by markamarine »

I was interested in purchasing a j109 hull 46, upon inspection I noticed some cracking like you described. Was this the type of cracking you had repaired?
Attachments
IMG_07001.jpg
IMG_07001.jpg (12.6 KiB) Viewed 20380 times
IMG_06991.jpg
IMG_06991.jpg (12.68 KiB) Viewed 20380 times
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

That looks similar but worse than hull 203.
markamarine

Post by markamarine »

Based on your experience, would this be a boat you would walk from?
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Hard to say. Use the services of a professional surveyor and weigh the cost of repair with the boat price. It could be a good deal, or not worth it depending on the circumstances.
markamarine

Post by markamarine »

Thanks for the help.
markamarine

Post by markamarine »

Is there a way to identify if a factory sump modification was done or not?
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Hard to tell looking at the low resolution photos on my phone. I think it appears that the aft keel bolt has a reinforced plate under it so it may have been upgraded. In any case, the cracked area should be ground out and fixed.
markamarine

Post by markamarine »

Here are pictures of the leading and trailing edges of the keel, is that cracking usual?
Attachments
IMG_0732.jpg
IMG_0732.jpg (10.72 KiB) Viewed 20365 times
IMG_0731.jpg
IMG_0731.jpg (11.05 KiB) Viewed 20365 times
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

I think that boat had a grounding. Again, low res pictures on the phone don't show well enough to see details
markamarine

Post by markamarine »

I agree, I think it hit hard at some point, just wondering what kind of money it will take to correct?
breeves

Post by breeves »

I own Hull number 105 berthed in Belvedere
ralph142

Post by ralph142 »

jhollander wrote:Hi
I am looking to purchase the J/109 Knots 2 in San Francisco bay. The boat was a bank repo and has had a couple years neglect but the price is good. Of course I would survey the boat but I had one concern that I felt might be a non-starter. There is some cracking / crazing in the gellcoat in the bildge between the sink and nav table. I would describe it as spider cracks covering about 12 inches. Has anyone seen similar? Is this related to or an indication of the keel sump issues seen on some j109s?

Jesse
W
Pm me Jesse
jng7000

Post by jng7000 »

jhollander wrote:Hi

Jesse
I recently looked at buying this repo boat in Alameda, CA too, "Knots 2 (Hull #168 I believe). It is going for quite cheap but there may well be a reason for that. From what I was able to find this was in the OCYC fleet in Berkeley for a while. So it was a club boat and likely was used quite often and by folks who did not own her and probably was "rode hard and put away wet". Possibly a lot of engine hours for it's age as well. The most obvious issue I first noticed was it's (lack of) sail inventory, all I saw was a beat up main and headsail, not sure it even has a spinnaker. As the original poster mentioned, the cracks in the sump may also be an issue.

There is supposedly a survey already done but I was not able to obtain a copy. I think for the right price and with a very good independent survey it can still be a decent buy and brought back to life. However when I requested to see the existing survey the broker stopped returning my emails, which to me was a huge red flag. I think for the right price it could be a good boat, but might be best to proceed with a lot of caution and make sure to find a very good surveyor, independent of the survey already performed. And be ready to likely invest quite a bit of money to get her up to speed.
Jim
"Junkyard Dog" #168
California Offshore Race week video: https://youtu.be/R3nHBRV1HbE
San Francisco "Duxship" regatta video: https://youtu.be/BViC3bnHqL0
Three Bridge Fiasco Video: https://youtu.be/OHbnSJSzIdw