Backstay

Sail trim, rig tuning, and related topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

chris_z

Post by chris_z »

Can any of you tell me how you use the backstay on your boat? For me I use it exclusively to de-power the main when the breeze comes up. If the boat starts heeling too much, I pump on the backstay until the rail gets out of the water and I stop making too much leeway.

When I was racing at the BBR this year, some of the other boats told me I needed to add more backstay, even in lighter conditions where I was not close to being overpowered. Any idea why? What advanatage does putting on the backstay in say 6-10 knots of breeze get me???

Backstay

Post by Guest »

Christopher, think in terms of power vs. drag. If the conditions are "lumpy"
bslick

Post by bslick »

We don't even look at our back stay until we see 13 true.
As for a starting point for your mast tune we use the North Tuning guide.
chris_z

Post by chris_z »

Same here on windspeed for backstay, usually around 12-13 I start putting some on, get it pretty well maxed out by 20. Other people say I need to put on backstay to take out the headstay sag, but I thought on a fractional rig that was not as effective as simply raising the jib halyard.

Craig, who did you buy your new sails from? I use Doyle on mine. I start with the mast in the middle of the adjustment range, then get the forestay to max length. Then, I tension the uppers to 40, middle to 17 and lowers hand tight as the base setting. Then, I go out and sail with the sails in the given conditions and look at the leeward shrouds. I want to have just a little looseness to them in whatever the typical breeze is, so I either tighten or ease from there. If they are loose I will tighten the leeward shrouds one turn, then tack over and tighten the other shrouds (now also leeward) one turn as well. I keep this up until they have just a little play. Seems to work pretty well and keeps the rig straight.