Saildrive Diaphragms Replacement Every 2 Years?

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

alan_chua

Post by alan_chua »

I just noticed that the Yanmar manual recommends replacing the saildrive diaphragms every two years. It looks like a very big job and I wonder if it's really necessary to do it so often. With the double diaphragms and alarm on the Yanmars, wouldn't it be safe to postpone for at least several years?

Does anyone have experience replacing the seals?

Does anyone with an older boat have experience not replacing them?

Thanks.

re: Saildrive Diaphragms Replacement Every 2 Years?

Post by Guest »

I have a 2005 - Hull #240. We checked the seals on my sail drive a couple of seasons ago - no problems. Has anyone changed theirs yet? Apparently the manual says to change them every five years or so.

[Posted by: Joel Livingston
]

Post by Guest »

Have a 2004 and have not

[Posted by: Doug F
]
mitchw200

Post by mitchw200 »

We have hull 272 and based on the manual's recommendation of a two-year change out schedule, we asked our yard for a quote. They told us that it would require "pulling the motor" and is a huge job. Anyone out there know if that's required or is our yard misinformed? Any experience with replacing the seals that anyone can report?
fxalbert

Re: Saildrive Diaphragms Replacement Every 2 Years?

Post by fxalbert »

Had a recent scare where the "Water Proof" light came on. That's the warning light for the bladders. Turned out it was just condensation in the bladders and once it was dried out and blown out everything was fine. In the mean time my yard gave me an estimate of $3500 to replace the bladders.
J-109 Emoticon

Post by J-109 Emoticon »

I'm being told that the diaphragm needs replacing every 7-10 years. Being that Emoticon is a 2005 my yard is pressing me to have it done, cost is ~ $4k. Have most 109 owners had this service already done as most boats are from 2003-2007?
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

JR - I have not and my boat is 2005. I did verify that the leak sensor is working by removing it and dipping in water and will continue to monitor. Ted Herlihy replace the diaphragms on Gut Feeling hull 72 last year for the 1st time. It was a major evolution because the engine needs to move forward so the upper sail drive can be removed to get the diaphragms out.

Post by 7200 »

I have 2003 #72. After similar discussion of whether to or not to I decided to replace the water seal at the end of the 2014 season. The process was not that daunting. The motor had to be moved forward to separate from the sail drive, then the sail drive dropped. The fiberglass plate around the drive on the bottom had to be cut out to allow the drive to drop. The engine could be moved with a bar. While the engine was moved forward, I replaced the motor mounts which really didn't need to be. When the seal was removed, it was still in excellent shape. Probably had many more years of use possible. Rubber looked incredibly good. The yard cost for the work (with the mounts) was 3000 but I replaced the glass plate around the sail drive myself. Bottom line - probably did not have to have been done yet. A leak could be catastrophic but checking the seal alarm at least every year may give some warning.
Bengt J

Post by Bengt J »

A Yanmar service bulletin is suggesting replacing the diaphragms every 5 years. The j109 design with the fairing plate protecting all internal rubber parts from mechanical damage should extend the service interval to about 10 years. I think checking the leak sensor every year is a very good idea.
As part of an insurance claim we had Zig Zag's (hull # 37) diaphragms replaced this year for the second time. The diaphragms and SS bands cost $770 and labor cost was $2860.
The project is just medium difficult and easily done as DIY weekend project, I get to it in about 10 years!!