Fellow J/109 Owners–
I hope this message finds you and your family safe and well. The J/109 Class strives to promote competitive and successful championship events that ensure our Class continues to stay relevant and grow. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic and its remaining fall-out have made that extremely difficult for host fleets and yacht clubs in the Spring and Summer of 2020. Accordingly, the Class Officers and Executive Board have voted on the following changes to our Class schedule. Next to each change, I have attempted to provide a brief explanation of the rationale.
- 2020 East Coast Regatta Series–Cancelled (Cedar Point One Design, the mandatory event, was cancelled. New York YC Annual Regatta was delayed until late August. American YC Fall Series is subject to NY COVID-19 regulations).
- 2020 East Coast Championship–Postponed (New York YC Race Week has been postponed to 23-26 September).
- 2020 North American Championship–Cancelled (The COVID-19 restrictions in Chicago have greatly impacted the fleet’s ability to host a successful event. Moving the 2020 event in this environment is not practicable. The Executive Board approved the Chicago fleet’s request to host in 2021, instead.)
- 2021 North American Championship–Moved to Chicago, Summer dates TBD by J/109 Annual Meeting in October.
- 2021 East Coast Championship–Block Island Race Week, June 2021
- 2021 East Coast Regatta Series–Cedar Point One Design, NYYC Annual, AYC Fall Series (using the events that would have been the 2020 Series)
I hope that by announcing these changes now, you are able to adjust plans as needed and prepare for excellent racing later in 2020 and in 2021.
I look forward to seeing you on the water when racing resumes. Please be sure to send reports and pictures for the Class website.