Electronics at the helm?

How to make the boat go faster or compete within the Class.

Moderator: forumadmin

john

Post by john »

I am a new J109 owner this season, hull #174. i currently have one Ockam display over the companionway and 2 on the mast. I am trying to decide if I should have something at the helm and what it should be. Should it be a GPS and if so what size? Is there any way to display tactical software output, ie. laylines etc? Is that even practical? Seems like in the J109 class races, that some boats some have something at the helm but some don't. Just looking for some advice about what to do. Thanks.
adrianbegley

Post by adrianbegley »

I don't have instruments at the helm on Mad Dogs and don't miss them while racing. At times when cruising a chart plotter there would be useful but I think would be vulnerable to being caught by the main sheet.
rick_lyall

Post by rick_lyall »

I agree with Adrian and don't see any real benefit to having instruments at the helm while racing. You don't really need them for windward leewards as you can look at boat speed, true wind, heading etc on your instruments. For distance racing you can use a handheld GPS in the cockpit or have a navigator below using a chartplotter. The only time it might be helpful to have a GPS display at the helm is while cruising or racing double handed (my opinion)