Mast collar cracking around turning block pins

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

jkalucki

Mast collar cracking around turning block pins

Post by jkalucki »

Has anyone had their mast collar crack around the turning block pins? I have a (new to me), 2004 J/109 #195 (iirc). The two cracked joints in question are, of course, the blocks for the main and jib halyard. Am I doing something wrong, or is this an expected maintenance item?
Attachments
IMG_9999.jpg
IMG_9999.jpg (153 KiB) Viewed 10830 times
IMG_9977.jpg
IMG_9977.jpg (168.07 KiB) Viewed 10830 times
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (125.31 KiB) Viewed 10830 times
Rosalita#73

Re: Mast collar cracking around turning block pins

Post by Rosalita#73 »

I have not seen anything like this on Hull # 73.
bmastror

Post by bmastror »

Yes, I had this same problem. One of the turning block pins were bent too. This is the first I have heard of anyone else having this problem. I have a 2005, hull #203.

I put the turning block pins in other positions in the mast collar for the rest of the season (not the best angle for the lines, but it worked). When I had the boat hauled at the end of the season, I had the mast unstepped and replaced the collar. I ordered it from Waterline in Rhode Island. They have never heard of the mast collar cracking either.

I noticed your boat is in San Francisco. Mine was made at TPI in RI, shipped to San Fran, stayed there a few years, shipped back to RI, and then sat for a few years. The boat wasn't used much before I bought it in 2010.
breeves

Post by breeves »

I have Hull 105 also located in San Francisco and upon inspection today also saw evidence of cracking on one of the tubes which houses the main halyard turning block pin. Strange that this seems to be a San Francisco phenomenon.
carlbraden

Post by carlbraden »

I have hull #148 - major crack across whole of collar - does anyone know where a replacement can be purchased?
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Carl,

You should be able to order it from Waterline / US Watercraft. They are in the old TPI building where the US boats were built.:
Waterline Systems
373 Market Street
Warren, RI 02885
401-247-3000

Call and ask for Ted Slee or Mike Trindade. When you order, see if you can get the part number so it can be posted on the website.

Thanks,