Carbon Fiber Mast Leaking

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

Wahoo

Carbon Fiber Mast Leaking

Post by Wahoo »

Hello All,

Recently purchased Hul 103 and discovered a nagging mast leak at the partners (not found by the surveyor or disclosed by the seller or sellers agent). It appears there has been a leak for a while. The mast doesn't have a consistantly level surface area on the mast at the partners as the vang connection is molded into the mast making it difficult to seal the top side of a mast boot to the mast with 360 degrees of sealed coverage. The previous owner had a mess of caulk and other sealants under the old mast boot with no success in stopping the leak. tried the selfbonding bootmast tape with no success.

Any one had success in stopping the leak on the carbon fiber mast?? please help my interior begs of you!

Thanks,
Troy Lamb
Vento Solare

Re: Carbon Fiber Mast Leaking

Post by Vento Solare »

Troy,

If you have a carbon mast it isn't stock. J/109 stock mast is aluminum made by Sparcraft.

On hull 266 there are some drips but mast collar and tape is pretty effective.
Wahoo

Post by Wahoo »

I knew most come with aluminum mast. The previous owner ordered the 109 new (I'm the second owner) with the aluminum mast deleteted and a corbon mast ordered and rigged at Hall Spars in Charleston SC. according to Hall Spars they didint make or design a boot mast for this specific boat and mast application so im having to research a good solotion. Hate to have a mangled looking mast boot on such a nice looking rig.

Troy
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Troy,

On other boats I've seen a piece of sheet rubber wrapped and taped that was covered with a custom sewn Sunbrella cover wrapped and tied in place with a draw string. It looked good and seemed to keep the water out.
Wahoo

Post by Wahoo »

Spartite is the answer. The Job was smother than anticipated and a little messy but seams to have done the trick at least for now.