Bow Pulpit Repair or Replacement?

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

JohnGreifzu

Bow Pulpit Repair or Replacement?

Post by JohnGreifzu »

Anyone had to repair or replace the bow pulpit on a US built boat? The port forward stud on the pulpit broke off below deck. (It's the hollow one with the wire for the bow light running through it). Any advice would be helpful? I haven't removed the pulpit yet to find out whether the stud was threaded in or welded. One repair guy suggested that buying a new pulpit might be more cost effective than the time and effort to re-weld the stud. Thanks for your help.
Vento Solare

Re: Bow Pulpit Repair or Replacement?

Post by Vento Solare »

It was welded on the stern pushpit. If you do the labor to remove and reinstall it, probably more cost effective to have it welded.
jerry

Re: Bow Pulpit Repair or Replacement?

Post by jerry »

I'm a little late checking on post- Did you get it fixed? I had the same thing happen to mine (I think having the bowman sitting on it during pre-starts has something to do with it). The project wasn't that hard. I was able to take it off in less than an hour, then locally we have shop that specializes in making custom rails for big boats. The were able to re-weld the threaded post, polished the chrome all for under $175. The install wasn't too bad, except have an extra person at the boat. But be careful. Getting the posts threw the deck but some tension on them. Before I could get the nuts on- the tension sprung the pulpit up and overboard! Fortunately my neighbor had a grappling hook and retrieved it. The hardest part is fishing the wires back through the pulpit.
I don't let my bowman sit on it anymore.

If you are located in the northwest or on west coast the shop is: www.railmakersnw.com. You may be able to ship it to them.

Jerry Woodfield
Seattle, WA
S/V Shada
J/109 #44