Winterize Head

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

Dan Corcoran

Winterize Head

Post by Dan Corcoran »

How to winterize the head while she is in the water? On my last boat I would disconnect the hose from the thru-hull and stuck it in antifreeze, but that looks like it is painfully difficult on the 109 with the thruhull behind the engine. Will the salt water simply drain out of the system when she is hauled?
Vento Solare

Re: Winterize Head

Post by Vento Solare »

You can close the hull valve, then remove the seawater hose from the intake of the head. I use a temporary hose and pump the pink antifreeze through the head to winterize it that way. Once the boat is hauled, I open the hull valves to drain the dead legs.
cercole

Re: Winterize Head

Post by cercole »

I winterize the head once the boat is hauled out. I use a 1" ID clear plastic tube around 1 foot long. Cut the end of the tube square and flush using a new razor blade. Place a little superlube or silicone grease on the end with the clean cut, this will help the tube seal against the hull. Put the other end of the tube into a bottle of antifreeze. Hold the bottle and tube tight against the hull at the head intake. Now have your assistant pump the head and it will suck the antifreeze up through the whole system.
-Christopher
sweet caroline # 239