Masthead VHF Antenna/Windex and wiring update.

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

Mvallus

Masthead VHF Antenna/Windex and wiring update.

Post by Mvallus »

Now the mast is down I am looking to address a few issues I have noticed over the years...First, looking to replace my masthead VHF/AIS antenna. Currently have a Shakespeare antenna which the Windex slides over. Just curious if others have a different/better setup.

Additionally, I am planning to replace all wiring for the antenna and masthead/steaming lights. Water somehow finds it way through the insulation of the wiring and into the forward junction box. Any recommendations on a high quality replacement cabling?
Attachments
Masthead.jpg
Masthead.jpg (133.72 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
Masthead 2.png
Masthead 2.png (451.11 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
Vento Solare

Re: Masthead VHF Antenna/Windex and wiring update.

Post by Vento Solare »

Matt,

I had the same problem with water coming down the cable to the junction box. I my case the culprit was the steaming light cable. I put a dab of caulk on the hole in the mast where the wires went though by the steaming light and it fixed the problem.

I have a separate Windex and VHF antenna. The cable is good quality Anchor RG8X.

The steaming light is typically a maximum of 20 watts (12V @ 1.66 amps). You are ok to use 18 gauge wire for that with less than the recommended 3% voltage drop for critical applications. Use the Ancor 18/2 Flat Safety cable (marine grade tinned).