Video showing how the J/109 outhaul works

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

spelunkerd

Video showing how the J/109 outhaul works

Post by spelunkerd »

If you wonder how the mysterious outhaul pulley system in the J/109 boom works, or if you wonder why the outhaul line is so long, or if you've lost the outhaul inside the boom, you will want to watch a 5 minute video outlining what I found. In my case I used class II line to route the control back to the cockpit, stripping the cover for the length that is inside the boom. I decided to do that because the unused clutch in the cockpit was too large to hold the small line, and because the pulleys inside the boom are better served with small diameter line. If I had to do it over again I would look harder to find a clutch or cleat that would work with small line, and use small line throughout. Perhaps one could find an insert for the bigger clutch to control small line. Incidentally I found a 14:1 system, not the 16:1 described in product descriptions (my boat is hull #43).

On my Youtube channel there is a playlist with a series of repair videos, all done on the J/109 with a Yanmar 3GMFC engine.

Here is the link to the Outhaul video. If link doesn't work, search the Youtube channel Spelunkerd, "How does a Sailboat Outhaul work?"

https://youtu.be/WRND4JIDIAU
Vento Solare

Re: Video showing how the J/109 outhaul works

Post by Vento Solare »

This is an excellent video unraveling the mystery of the hidden outhaul. Thanks for posting.
fxalbert

Re: Video showing how the J/109 outhaul works

Post by fxalbert »

This should be read in conjunction with the video provided on this topic. I broke the out haul line this year and decided to replace everything inside the boom. My goose-neck is attached to the boom with SS screws so it was easy to remove and that's all you have to do is take off the goose-neck. You can't replace all the lines without removing the goose-neck because one of the lines is tied to the shaft holding the pulleys as they exit the goose-neck. I used Dymeena for the long line with the block (identified as the floating line in the video). One end attaches to a pin on the multi block arrangement attached inside the goose-neck and I had a splice put in the line for that attachment point. The other end ties to the shaft mentioned above with a bowline and a couple of half hitches and the entire thing taped to ensure it won't loosen up on it's own. The out haul it's self (also Dymeena) is attached to the pin end of the block with another splice and the line and then exits at the rear of the boom. I took the old line to a rigger and he suggested a line for the multi block replacement. That line has a good grip although it's only rated for 1,700 lbs the rigger said that would be plenty considering the 12 to one advantage the blocks provided. The Dymeena lines were rated at around 4,500 lbs. I'm not a fan of splices, I've had too many break but for this application I had to have them do splices everywhere I could. Dymeena is notoriously difficult to tie knots in because the knots will slip out almost regardless of what you tie.