Edson Steering Wheel

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

jrlivingston

Edson Steering Wheel

Post by jrlivingston »

I have hull #240 - built in 2005. When I bought the boat - the lock nut just inside the wheel hub used to wiggle loose. We added some loctite and it stayed in place. If my memory is correct, the lock nut did not rotate when you turned the wheel.

Now it does - and the wheel always has some play in it.

Does anyone have a similar vintage boat and could tell me how it looks on your boat?
Attachments
IMG_2785 (1).jpg
IMG_2785 (1).jpg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 8021 times
Vento Solare

Re: Edson Steering Wheel

Post by Vento Solare »

I had a similar problem on Vento Solare. The threads ran out on the shaft before the nut would lock the wheel. I solved it by putting a stainless washer in between the nut and the hub so there was thread left to compress it.
Mvallus

Post by Mvallus »

Same issue on 251. There is an Edson technical bulletin under the info tab that suggests replacing the star nut with a nylock nut. I gave them a call via the contact on the bulletin and they were very helpful. I have found the nylock nut much easier to tighten, and, paired with loctite and a washer, it has held up for me.
jrlivingston

Post by jrlivingston »

Thank you! Appreciate the help.
Dan Corcoran

Post by Dan Corcoran »

I got the kit to allow the brake to work again. For the life of me I cannot figure out the instructions, or mechanically how any of the parts they sent can exert a braking force. Has anyone installed the kit?
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

pretty straight forward. The collar is installed on the shaft and butted up against the friction washer that serves as the brake. It prevents the washer from deflecting. Only tighten the friction lock on the wheel hub finger tight so you don't deform the washer.