Forward junction box .....

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

nc_109_driver

Post by nc_109_driver »

The other morning felt some drips from the junction box in the forward cabin over the entry. Thought it was condensation. Opened the front of the box and had a major amount of water inside pour out! Not sure where it all came from.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Post by Guest »

Yes, same issue. Rusted connectors as well. Needed to replace. Since the mast boot always leaks (typical J-style), assumed it was simply water in the area. Decided to re-seal and check more often. Wish I had better advice.

[Posted by: Barry
]

Post by Guest »

I have had the same problem. Sealing the mast lights with silicone seemed to stop the leak, but it has recurred. I am leaving the junction box open as much as possible and checking it often. I hope someone comes up with a solution-

[Posted by: Sam Mitchener
]
jerry

Post by jerry »

I just found the same on my boat. Any idea how the water gets from mast to junction box? I couldn't see any direct route unless the water flows with the wires and cables to the box? If I have a good seal at the mast boot where is the water coming from?

Could it just be condensation that gets trapped?

Any solution from J-boats? Looks like a short waiting to happen.

Shada
J-109 #44
crash

Post by crash »

Good chance it is water running down along the wires/cables and into the junction box. With the typical amount of mast rake on a J-109, there is plenty of opportunity for water to come in the Jib and Spin halyard sheeves, and then run down the inside of the mast/along the cables/conduits, and thence into the junction box. If that is occurring, sealing the cable/wire entry point with silicon might solve the problem. Also a "downward" shaped "U" in the cables prior to the junction box would allow the water to run to the bottom of the "U" and drip clear from there...preventing it from running into the Junction box. Ideally that "U" turn would occur inside the mast were the cables exit to the junction box, so that the drips go the rest of the way down the inside of the mast and then into the bilge, rather then drip on the table/cabin sole.

Post by Guest »

Pete,

Pat ("Tina") Turner (VF-32) & Diana trying to locate you for boat maintenance question. Please write me at dturner12@cfl.rr.com . Too long to post here.

[Posted by: Pat Turner
]
crash

Post by crash »

Pat,
Sent you an email to address shown...did you get it? My cell 757 635-3007,
Pete
breeves

Re: Forward junction box .....

Post by breeves »

Inspected box today after serious rain determined water was running inside liting cables. Need to go up mast and inspect. Have inverted loop in cables but appears water is coming down inside outer sheave.
Vento Solare

Re: Forward junction box .....

Post by Vento Solare »

I found on Vento Solare that water was running inside the cable from the steaming light. Today I went up the mast and put a bead of silicone caulk where the two wires entered the rubber grommet on the mast. This stopped the water entering the junction box.