Bottom Line: You can have your own boat website with an integrated calendar, crew scheduling and automatic notifications just like the one I use for Vento Solare. These custom boat websites are available as a subscription service through Crew Manager.
Why would I want this? If you find yourself trying to coordinate a race schedule, emailing multiple people to find out who can do each event, then looking for crew substitutes when you find out that someone you thought was committed to an event is not.... this is for you. Boats with no issues coordinating events or crew scheduling don't need this, but it does provide a pretty nice boat website!
What is it? Crew Manager provides a boat website with features the Skipper & Crew will use throughout the sailing season. In a nutshell, the team website provides a “Who, What, When, Where and Wear” schedule with automatic reminders. After an event, the Skipper may post results and crew members may submit comments, pictures and stories about the event. Crew Manager works on most any device with a web browser including PC, Mac, iPad, Android tablet, iPhone and Android Phone.
- Provides a calendar of events for the boat and crew. Additional pages contain links of interest, weather and winds
- Events include boat location and time to be there and may specify “Uniform” (e.g. orange shirts). It also may include regatta registration status and fee payment status for an event.
- Crew members set their availability to participate in each event – this is displayed on the events. Crew updating availability on the website sends an immediate email to the Skipper.
- The Skipper designates boat positions for available crew members and makes assignments by crew member (e.g. bring beer) – all these are displayed on the event
- Additional information may be included such as weather forecast, tides & currents, links to race documents, etc.
- Crew members receive a reminder email 36 hours (or lead time as as set by the Skipper) prior to events for which they are scheduled – all the event information is included
- The Skipper may email the Crew using groups listed in a dropdown for “All Crew”, Core Crew” or those scheduled for a particular event.
- The Skipper may view a Crew report with shirt & jacket sizes to buy swag!
- The Skipper may view a Crew report for One Design crew weights summed for an event and automatically verify Sailor Classifications from the World Sailing database.
What does it cost? To put in sailor terms... The cost is equivalent to about a case of beer for one-time setup and a few beers per month! Details on pricing and the online order process are available on the Crew Manager Shop.
Boat Websites with Crew Scheduling & Notifications
Shameless plug: Bill Kneller created Crew Manager LLC to offer custom boat website subscriptions after spending a significant time developing the software for his own boat website. The other alternatives out there worked fine for softball, bowling and tennis, but really didn't address the unique sailing requirements. Crew Manager was built from the keel up just for sailing. Read more about Crew Manager LLC here.
Got more questions? Shoot me an email or give me a call.