Stanchion Swap?

Topics about Class Rules and the RRS.

Moderators: forumadmin, Vento Solare

J-109 Emoticon

Stanchion Swap?

Post by J-109 Emoticon »

It is my understanding that European built and US built 109's have a different stanchion configuration at the gates (see attached pictures). My question is would swapping the stanchions be permitted under class rules?
J109-EU Stanchions.jpeg
J109-EU Stanchions.jpeg (156.41 KiB) Viewed 18230 times
J-109 US Stanchions.jpeg
J-109 US Stanchions.jpeg (23.96 KiB) Viewed 18230 times
Vento Solare

Re: Stanchion Swap?

Post by Vento Solare »

Obviously the class measurer has the final say, but I believe that this is allowed by the following class rule
1.2 J/109’s which comply with these Rules shall be built only by builders licensed by J/Boats, Inc. and shall comply with specifications determined by J/Boats, Inc. Repairs and modifications shall be made in accordance with J/Boats, Inc. specifications.
There are various specs and drawings used throughout the production cycle of the boat. What you are requesting is consistent with different vendors using parts that may be more easily available to the production facility in France or the US. Examples of this are the engine (Volvo or Yanmar), Hatches, water tanks, etc. If a part is specified on a production print licensed by J/Boats and used in the build, it should be allowable if you want to swap it out.

That being said - I kind of like the US version of the stanchion at the gates, as there is no tripping hazard when the gate is closed.
J-109 Emoticon

Post by J-109 Emoticon »

So I while I'm trying to procure the EU stanchions I wanted to run this by the forum. Would the class frown upon simply replacing the gate stanchions with the standard vertical peice and plugging the gate support with a washer and through bolt. See picture. Thoughts?
Replaced gate stanchion
Replaced gate stanchion
image.jpeg (655.99 KiB) Viewed 17791 times
Rosalita#73

Post by Rosalita#73 »

Both European and US designed stations are allowed per the class rules. Switching from one style to another is permitted. The size, height and weight must be equivalent. Any modifications that are outside of the 2 designs are not permitted.

Rick Hanson

J109 Class Measurer
Dan Corcoran

Post by Dan Corcoran »

Are new stanchions posts available, with or without the base, for sale somewhere for U.S. built 109's boats?
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Yes - Whitewater Marine per the Equipment Suppliers Page. Mouse over Market and click on Equipment Suppliers.