Traveler and Windward Sheeting Cars

Topics about Class Rules and the RRS.

Moderators: forumadmin, Vento Solare

Vento Solare

Traveler and Windward Sheeting Cars

Post by Vento Solare »

The following email was received from Mark Haas who owns Bonfire 4, Hull #220 and is posted for the Class Measurer to review and comment.

Question 1: Can you refer me to the Class rules would prohibit the windward sheeting car?

Question 2: Does the Class rules allow leeway in adjusting the rigging setup? I am interested in changing the blocks on the gunwale and repositioning the cleat (notably putting it on a camcleat riser). The French-built J/109’s have the traveler camcleat in a different position than the US-built boats.

I am not interested in the windward sheeting cars, so much as I am interested in understanding the rule. I would like keep the same functional layout. I am interested in putting the traveler camcleat on a riser, though.

Question 3: Will the rules allow one traveler line rather than two?
Bengt J

Re: Traveler and Windward Sheeting Cars

Post by Bengt J »

Windward sheeting traveler cars are not allowed according to 4.1 and 4.3.14. The method of cleating/un-cleating the car is different therefore the function is changed.

After reviewing photos of 5 US built boats and 5 French built boats all was found to have the same configuration to control the traveler car, a double upright block with a cam cleat above mounted on the vertical surface outboard of the track (P&S)- no changes allowed.

Using one continuous line that is terminated on the starboard and port end of the track is allowed to control the traveler car.

as reference only
as reference only
FullSizeRender-1.jpg (90.36 KiB) Viewed 8704 times
Attachments
as reference only
as reference only
FullSizeRender.jpg (103.56 KiB) Viewed 8704 times