Main sheet system

Topics about Class Rules and the RRS.

Moderators: forumadmin, Vento Solare

bmastror

Main sheet system

Post by bmastror »

I would to propose opening up the rules to change the current main sheet system
https://j109.org/docs/j109_mainsheet_system.pdf

The difference in pressure between the gross tune and fine tune is too much. I recommend that the ratio for the gross tune can be changed so that less pressure is required to sheet in the main.
Bengt J

Re: Main sheet system

Post by Bengt J »

The current 6:1/4:1 mainsheet system is a well proven and reliable low friction design suitable for most conditions.

Increasing the 6:1 portion of the system to 8:1 will require some new blocks and additional 30 feet of line.
Advantage will be less tension but disadvantages will be 30 feet more line to pull in at the leeward mark and it will decrease the advantage/usefulness of the fine tune.

I do not think the cost/benefit aspect will justify a change.

Next step would be to follow item 7.2 of the Class Constitution.
bmastror

Re: Main sheet system

Post by bmastror »

Thank you for your response. I agree there is the disadvantage of extra length of line, but I don't see this change impacting performance in a one-design class. If the higher ratio allows my main sheet trimmers to fully sheet in the main without having to use 2 people, I would prefer this over dealing with extra line and sheeting in the main slower at the leeward mark.

I myself cannot trim in the main fully in 20 knots of breeze. I would like to be able to do this when cruising or long distance racing.