Clutch replacements

Topics about Class Rules and the RRS.

Moderators: forumadmin, Vento Solare

ceaves

Clutch replacements

Post by ceaves »

Two of my clutches need to be replaced. If I use the new constrictor clutches, is that consistent with the rules?
Vento Solare

Re: Clutch replacements

Post by Vento Solare »

The Class Measurer provided a ruling allowing two inline clutches in February 2015 in this post. Additionally class rule 4.3.14 allows substitution of blocks, cleats, and clutches provided by non-standard equipment manufacturers, provided that the replacement parts are of similar size, weight, and power ratio and perform the same function.

I use the Ronstan Constrictor clutch as a second inline clutch for my main and jib halyard, and my boat has been inspected for the NAs with these clutches installed. The advantage is they do not chafe the halyard cover and provide longer halyard life. I had a halyard 6 weeks old that the cover parted at the Spinlock clutch while using a new 3Di main in big winds. That is when I decided to install the constrictor clutches. I had previously changed the teeth in the Spinlock clutches to prevent slipping. When using the Constrictor inline you set the Constrictor clutch first, then close the Spinlock. If easing, open the Spinlock first, then ease the Constrictor.

The photos below show my installation. The Constrictor is thru-deck mounted about 12" forward of the Spinlock so the deck ruler tape is visible. If the clutches were together, the constrictor section covers the halyard there and would require the tape to be moved forward since you could not easily see the marked halyard immediately forward of the Spinlock. Be sure to epoxy isolate the holes drilled and use a G10 backing plate underneath since the deck is not reinforced there as it is under the Spinlocks.

ceaves

Post by ceaves »

Thanks, Bill. As usual, that's very helpful.

From a rules perspective, if I had only one set of clutches, could they be the constrictor ones?
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

I assume so, but would defer to Bengt for the official class measurer ruling.
Bengt J

Post by Bengt J »

No the primary rope clutches are specified as Spinlock XTS, two doubles on each side. These clutches are still readily available as well as the service kits for them. The hardest or most time consuming issue replacing the cam assemblies is to remove/install the headliners in the head and/or aft cabin to get access to the mounting hardware.

Secondary clutches of various types are class legal, please see copy of ruling by Rick Hanson below.

The Class Measurer was contacted to determine if two requests were allowed by Class Rules.

1) Is a second clutch allowed for both the main and jib halyards?

Answer: A second rope clutch is acceptable as it was asked and allowed previously by the Class Measurer as a method to prevent halyards under tension from slipping through the rope clutches. Alternate methods acceptable to achieve similar results include splicing extra core or covers in the halyards by the clutches, or replacing the teeth in the Spinlock clutches with model 0610 to replace the 0812 so the clutch grabs better.

2) May the forward hand rails be shortened so that in-hauling may be done across the cabin top without having to also clear the handrail?

Answer: Shortening of the handrails is not allowed per Class Rules paragraph 4.1 which states "Standard factory supplied equipment, including, but not limited to, railings, stanchions, and furnishings, except as listed in section 4.3, shall be maintained and will not be removed, relocated, or altered when racing". This modification may also be a safety hazard since the full extend of the handrails would not be available when needed for sailing in heavy seas.
ceaves

Post by ceaves »

This is unfortunate. I need to replace some clutches anyway, and given the advances with these constrictor clutches, I was hoping to use them as replacements. I don't want to go to the added work and expense to add secondary clutches.

What is the process for proposing a rule change that would accommodate these? In the interest of time, recognizing rule changes probably take a while, I'll go ahead with the Spinlock replacement, but I am curious for future.

Thank you for the consideration.
Bengt J

Post by Bengt J »

The process to change/amend our Class Rules can be found in the J/109 Class Association Constitution item 7.0
Dan Corcoran

Post by Dan Corcoran »

My crew is asking me to replace the two constrictor clutches I use as secondary to my main and jib halyards.

Is a second set of spinlocks really any better?
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Dan - I think the constrictors are superior to the spinlock clutches. They are easier to ease under load, hold better with no slip, and don't damage the cover. I added the constrictors after destroying a 6 week old main halyard cover with the spinlock. The new 3di main had zero stretch with much more load transferred to the teeth on the spinlock. Why does the crew want to change these?
Bengt J

Post by Bengt J »

I agree with Bill, we have used the Constrictors the last 3 seasons without any problems. We also switched to the ceramic cams in the stock clutches.
As far as class rules, it is no problem to switch to a XTS in series with the factory clutches, but why?