Genoas

Topics about Class Rules and the RRS.

Moderators: forumadmin, Vento Solare

Post by Guest »

Does anyone else feel that the "no genoas" provision in the class rules was overly restrictive for the J/109 class?

Paying over $200k for a boat, one extra sail is really not that much.

I bought a 145% genoa before the class rules were established, and I've seen it give me an extra knot of boatspeed in 6 true.

Eric

[Posted by: Eric
]

Post by Guest »

I think its a matter of perspective. You are right, below 7 or 8 knots true, the genny is worth at least a knot. But except for really light air, the boat still goes pretty good even with only the "small" class jib. I too bought a genoa (150%) for phrf racing. However, if we are racing one-design, then we all have the same sail choices, and hence the same speed potential. So using genoas doesn't really make the racing (one-design) any more competitve, just more expensive. I'd rather use that money to buy a cruising jib to leave on the furler for day sails and weekend cruises...

[Posted by: Peter Morrison
]
chris_z

Post by chris_z »

I would have to agree with Peter on this. While I am happy to have a 150% Genoa for my PHRF racing, having just three sails to choose from when it comes to class racing suits me just fine. If we all have the same basic equipment then it becomes a matter of who is the best sailor, not who has the exact sail for the current wind conditions.
bslick

Post by bslick »

I like going fast. If the #1 is the fastest sail then we should be able to use it. We have been
considering going to Key West this winter but likely will go elsewhere because we are
setup for PHRF and don't really want to spend $10000 on class equipment we will
probably never use again.

Post by Guest »

Suggestion to anybody thinking of getting class sails--contact your sailmaker now! I called mine about something else and mentioned that we were thinking of getting them for next year and he gave me a very good discount if I got them now. Really substantially less that Bslick is suggesting it would cost. They don't have a lot of business at this time of year.

We just had to decide whether to upgrade our PHRF sail inventory or go for class sails and we decided on the latter. We sail on the Long Island Sound and I certainly understand why people would want larger sails, but I do think it simplifies things to have the small inventory. Of course, it simpifies it more for the J109 owners that bought their boats after it was decided on!

[Posted by: Leah Beckman
]
chris_z

Post by chris_z »

Bslick,

So you don't own a #3? I guess you must live somewhere that it never blows over 15 knots. I know the feeling, we have only used our jib in 6 of the 38 days of racing we have done this summer. From what I have heard, the #1 might be a little too much sail for Key West.
bslick

Post by bslick »

Yes we do carry a #3. When we had our 105 the first few regattas we attended we used our PHRF #3 as a class sail, it was made for big air. All the other boats had sails that you could see through ours took two people to lift. I guess that I am bitter because we have at least 10 PHRF sails in the basement from our 105 and I would hate to do the same with the 109.
chris_z

Post by chris_z »

Man, with ten sails you should open your own loft! I have a heavy duty class #3, a light #1 and a med/heavy #1, plus the main and class spin. I did not go for the 121 spin as that would drop my PHRF to 69 and put me in a different fleet. A fleet in Mass Bay is up to 70, B Fleet is 71-104. Rather be the fastest boat in B fleet than the slowest boat in A fleet...

Would be shocked if a great class jib and a class spinnaker would set you back $10K BTW.
bslick

Post by bslick »

Seeing as you are the second person to challenge the price of sails in Canada I am going to email you a quote from North.

Post by Guest »

As a J/105 veteran of 8 years, I know that one design racing depends heavily on very good sails. If we had to add a genoa to our racing inventory, a kid would have gone without college. As the J/109 fleets move to one design racing as we will in Buzzards Bay next summer, the cost of three sails will be a major hurdle. I hope that we won't face the proposition of four or five sails - that's serious money that a lot of us cannot work into family budgets.

[Posted by: Ed Dailey
]