Proposed Additional J/109 Class Rule 5.8

Topics about Class Rules and the RRS.

Moderators: forumadmin, Vento Solare

chris_z

Post by chris_z »

So can anyone shed some light on what this proposed rule change is all about? Other than the rules itself and the blurb on the front page I have not heard a thing. Not that it matters that much to me as I won't be sailing on Lake Michigan this summer, but my guess is that they use bigger kites out on the Great Lakes and want to use those instead of the tiny class chutes for the NAs. Is that about right?

Post by Guest »

Chris, you are correct. Fleet 11, Southern Lake Michigan has adopted a 120 square meter spinnaker for all class events. This spinnaker works well in the traditionally light to moderate winds in Chicago. The proposed rule will enable the North American Championship to be contested in Chicago under the local rules.

Although you may be perfectly happy staying home this summer, I strongly urge you and all J/109 racers to consider sailing the Great Lakes in 2013. In one month’s time, you have an opportunity to compete in 4 of the best regattas on the planet.

Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac July 13;
Bayview Mackinac Race July 20;
LTYC U-Gotta Regatta July 26-28;
J/109 North American Championships at Chicago Yacht Club August 8-11 (Verve Cup);

This foursome combines some of the best sailing venues, Chicago, Mackinac Island, Pt. Huron, MI, Harbor Springs, MI and with competitive point-to-point as well as closed course one design racing.

I call this the Grand Slam of fresh water sailing! Please consider joining us.

Fair winds,

Jack Toliver
Vanda III

[Posted by: Jack Toliver
]
chris_z

Post by chris_z »

Jack,

Thanks for the info. I figured as much! We have been using the 120 sm PHRF kite since 2009 as we have no OD racing up in Massachusetts Bay, and it is a MUCH nicer sailing experience, especially in the light stuff. Do most of the members in the fleet use a .75 or .5 oz cloth weight for the sail??

Z

Post by Guest »

Z,
We primarily use A2 spinnakers made of AirX 650 at the class minimum weight of 40 grams/m2 it falls somewhere between .5 and .75oz.
Jack

[Posted by: Jack Toliver
]