Is adding a Cam Cleat on Mast allowed?

Topics about Class Rules and the RRS.

Moderators: forumadmin, Vento Solare

Vento Solare

Is adding a Cam Cleat on Mast allowed?

Post by Vento Solare »

I am the new owner of Vento Solare - Hull #266. I would like to determine if Class Rules allow for adding a Harken Cam Cleat on the mast, below the exit point for the main halyard. This would be offset slightly from a straight line between the mast exit point and the turning block at the base of the mast so the halyard could be taken out of the cam when the load is taken on the rope clutch. The purpose of this cleat would be to help raise the main when sailing short handed. It allows the main to be jumped at the mast, locked in the cam cleat, then the tail could be pulled aft and the winch used to tension the halyard.

Excerpts from the 1 March 2013 Class Rules
4.4 The following are not permitted while racing in inshore buoy races:
4.4.1 Halyard locks or hooks (Is this intended at the top of the mast, or does this mean cam cleats as proposed here?)
4.4.5 Altering the mast, boom, or bowsprit (Does mounting a cam cleat on the mast violate this rule?)

Last night my wife and I did our first "dinner cruise" on Narragansett Bay and I went forward to raise the main (the delivery Dacron main that uses slugs in the mast track). It took some time and coordination to get the sail up. Having a cam cleat on the mast similar to the arrangement on my J/30 would help for the J/109.
adrianbegley

Re: Is adding a Cam Cleat on Mast allowed?

Post by adrianbegley »

It is not legal to add a cleat to the mast. The J109 rules only allow hardware to be added in specific circumstances.

If you want to put a cleat on the mast for use during handicap racing this must be rendered inoperable when used for class racing.
Vento Solare

Re: Is adding a Cam Cleat on Mast allowed?

Post by Vento Solare »

Adrian,

Thanks for the reply. I assume that if I taped around the circumference of the jaws, this would render the cam cleat unusable for OD racing and meet the intent. Thus I would just need to cut off the tape to use for cruising and PHRF racing.