Helm Friction Lock

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

Vento Solare

Helm Friction Lock

Post by Vento Solare »

The friction lock on the helm does not work no matter how tight the knob in the center of the wheel is tightened. I contacted Edson tech support and received the following reply:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your inquiry. I have attached an image of your steerer. When the brake appears to be not functioning, the natural tendency is to turn the center knob using more force. This can be damaging.

Just forward of the sprocket, there is a stainless washer and snap ring that sets in to a machined groove in the steering wheel shaft. They may have been distorted or dislodged. They should be reset and may require loosening the set screws securing the sprocket.

The recommended fix is to install a 2 piece stainless shaft collar tight against the sprocket. It is # 960-A-2715 available @ $74.00. It can be ordered direct with our customer service @ (508) 995-9711. This should correct the brake issue.

Also it is important to tighten the 4 nuts and socket cap screws located in back of the mounting plate.

The recommended replacement for the nut securing the steering wheel is a 5/8-18” Nyloc. Mention it when you place your order and we will gladly send one along at no charge.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,
Ken Martin
Customer Service
Edson Steering Diagram
TSweather

Re: Helm Friction Lock

Post by TSweather »

Anyone know if the Edson helm in that diagram also uses needle bearings? Need to fix wheel brake, but would go deeper if they are. Hull is 2003

This is from their website, unsure if it is the same wheel shaft.

Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

If you call Edson (508) 995-9711 their tech support is very good. I did that when I needed to find info about the friction lock that I posted above. Post here what you find out.
cercole

Post by cercole »

I did this repair and picked up a 1" stainless shaft collar from McMaster Carr. They stock them in 303 SS for around $18 and in 316 SS for around $35. You might need to reseat the snap ring before installing the collar.
-Christopher
sweet caroline # 239
JohnGreifzu

Post by JohnGreifzu »

The helm lock on #261 has been operating poorly. I worked with Edson to troubleshoot. Below are some pics of what is going on in there. Things to check: (1) is the snap ring sitting in the groove on the shaft; (2) is the two-part collar up tight against the snap ring; (3) are sprocket hub set screws in place and tight. We still have not figured out the problem. Edson is now recommending replacing the brake shoe: https://edsonmarine.com/brake-kit-for-4 ... -steerers/
Snap Ring.jpg
Snap Ring.jpg (401.28 KiB) Viewed 6826 times
Collar in Place.jpg
Collar in Place.jpg (433.71 KiB) Viewed 6826 times
Set Screw.jpg
Set Screw.jpg (742.18 KiB) Viewed 6826 times
TSweather

Post by TSweather »

While I would be interested in what you finally figure out, your last photo on the left of the sprocket appears like one of the pins in your chain isn't as flush as the others. Might be just something from the photo, but it did catch my eye. Even though its unrelated to your issue, Edson does sell replacement chain+cable.

Had no idea that there was an actual brake shoe in the hub. When I spoke with them last year they just mentioned adding the collar nut against the split ring and lubricating everything with Teflon spray.

Was planning to take that whole assembly apart this winter to re-grease like I do with winches as overall motion in mine doesn't seem as smooth as it should be. Will take photos when I have it apart.

Todd
JohnGreifzu

Post by JohnGreifzu »

I also noticed that pin and found it was just the angle of the photo.

Edson informed me that the brake shoe is aft of the pedestal in the assembly between the wheel and the pedestal. I was also told that they could provide no further assistance because J Boats made the pedestal, and that I should contact an approved technician. So no resolution, yet.