Prop washer

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

bmastror

Prop washer

Post by bmastror »

When you replace the seals in your lower sail drive every two years (or if you take your prop off for other maintenance), you should replace the prop washer and locking screws.
If you have the flexfold 2 blade https://j109.org/docs/flexofold_install ... 0_2013.pdf, here is the place to order the parts from and the part numbers:
Hansen Marine Engineering
32 Tioga Way
PO Box 1106
Marblehead, MA 01945
781-631-3282
FF-Screw: Locking screw tappered M8x25 D (Qty 2, $10.45 each)
FF-Tab Washer: Locking Tab Washer (Qty 1, $5.50 each)
FF-V1007: Locking screw M8x20 mm (Qty 1, $4.95 each)
prop washer.jpg
prop washer.jpg (69.63 KiB) Viewed 5966 times
TSweather

Re: Prop washer

Post by TSweather »

Ours looks a bit different, but is also flexofold. It has to come off every season to replace the lower anode. It has 4 set screws that are capped with 4 set screws. After replacing once, it seemed reasonable to inspect them closely and just reuse them with loctite. Boat is 2003 US build and prop does not have its own separate anode.

Best part was removing the prop nut that required fabrication of a thin wall 24mm deep socket. Grinder made quick work of it.

Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

What Brooke posted is the same as I have on the new Flexofold prop I have after the previous fell off while underway. Apparently, I'm not the only one to have this problem. I'll be replacing that washer every 2 years. Thanks Brooke!

ps - this is the lock washer for the nut / hex bolt combo that holds the prop body on the shaft, not for removing the blades.
bmastror

Post by bmastror »

Correct Bill. This is for the nut/hex bolt combo that holds the prop body on the shaft. It is a key component to making sure your prop does not come off. Also the provided screws come with waterproof loctite.