Instrument updates

How to make the boat go faster or compete within the Class.

Moderator: forumadmin

Mvallus

Instrument updates

Post by Mvallus »

Curious if anyone has recently updated their instruments. I have an older complete system of Raymarine instruments (C120 chartplotter, several ST60+, S2G Autohelm, Type 1 linear drive, usual Raymarine/Airmar transducers, AIS 500). The newer Raymarine systems are appealing and seem to be a more logical upgrade, but I have also heard good things about B&G's accuracy and sailing functions over the years (especially the new wireless wind transducer). Has anyone been through such an upgrade and have any recommendations?

Phoenix 251
Dan Corcoran

Re: Instrument updates

Post by Dan Corcoran »

I upgraded to B&G H5000 and Zeus 3 in 2017. You can give me a call, Saturday or another time.

Bill Kneller is in the process of a B&G upgrade this winter and really knows this stuff just as well.

There is a detailed article on my J/109 B&G refit in the February 2018 edition of Practical Sailor Magazine, titled "Testing the B&G Zeus3 Nav System". It requires a subscription. The article is a good starting point.

I see this older article I wrote about upgrading to NMEA2000 networks is available free and worth a read.
https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues ... 214-1.html

Connect with me on LinkedIn and I will send you my cell number.

Dan Corcoran
J/109 - Strider
Mvallus

Post by Mvallus »

Dan,

Thank you for the info. The Practical Sailor articles help narrow things down a bit (as usual). I will try to connect with you to get some further pointers.

Matt
Phoenix 251
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Matt,

I'm in the process of upgrading everything from a Nexus Server based system to an all B&G system using the H5000 Hercules processor as the brains. You can check out a previous thread at this link on the forum for earlier upgrades I did with some Raymarine stuff. I'll be putting some of that up for sale as soon as I can take pictures and set prices for the used equipment. Check this thread on the Sailing Anarchy forum describing my current upgrade.

ps - the Newer Raymarine Axiom displays running Lighthouse III do NOT have the sailing features that Lighthouse II had. It is geared toward the larger powerboat market. If you upgrade using Raymarine, make sure it will run the Lighthouse II software.
Mvallus

Post by Mvallus »

Bill,

This Sailing Anarchy thread is extremely valuable. It is good to know that the Type 1 Linear is compatible with B&G Pilot. Also, it looks like the rudder angle sensor would be an easy swap if switching. As always, thanks for the documentation of all these changes. BTW, hearing really good things about from a few friends about the wireless WS320...

Phoenix 251