Outhaul boom cleat replacement

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

jkalucki

Outhaul boom cleat replacement

Post by jkalucki »

My under-boom aluminum outhaul clam cleat, probably original, has been slipping for a while now. Any advice from someone who has successfully upgraded to a solution with a little more positive control? Perhaps a small cam cleat with a fairlead to keep the line captive? Or is it best to stick with the original clam cleat setup? Given all the in-boom purchase, I can't imagine that the SWL needs to be more than 200 or so pounds.
jerry

Re: Outhaul boom cleat replacement,

Post by jerry »

Mine wore out as well. Instead of replacing the clam cleat (that slips any way) I used the Ronstan dingy pivoting Lead block w/ small T-cleat (cam-cleat) http://www.apsltd.com/pivoting-lead-blo ... cleat.html

I took the lead guide off the cam cleat then tapped 2 screws about 6-8 inches aft of the current pulley, then mounted it under the boom. So the outhaul leads aft through the lead block then through the cam cleat. So far it is working even under heavy loads. I haven’t removed my old clamcleat or pulley yet, until I see if this dingy cleat will hold up. It outhaul line is at the maximum size. Harken and Ronstan do make a larger system if this fails, I just don’t know if the base will fit inside the groove on the underside of the boom. Right now I sail PHRF so I don’t know if this modification is OD legal.
Attachments
3CE185EE-ABD8-4A88-AC88-D03255AD87EB.jpeg
3CE185EE-ABD8-4A88-AC88-D03255AD87EB.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 9165 times
jkalucki

Re: Outhaul boom cleat replacement

Post by jkalucki »

Interesting. I initially assumed that something like this would be possible. But then, looking at various catalogs, I didn't see an obvious solution for mounting a relatively wide cam cleat into the very narrow channel under the boom.

A photo of how you mounted the cam cleat to the underside of the boom would certainly clarify things, if you happen to have one.
jerry

Post by jerry »

This may help. I can get a picture this week after Wednesday racing.
Outhaul.pdf
(636.05 KiB) Downloaded 626 times
cercole

Post by cercole »

My outhaul cleat wore out last season too. Looking for the easiest way out I replaced it with the exact same part. It was cheap and took less than ten minutes to install. The line has not slipped once since. Probably the easiest boat repair ever. Guess you can put something better but been out in mid twenties and no slipping so seems good to me. YMMV
-Christopher
sweet caroline # 239
cercole

Post by cercole »

BTW if you compare the old cleat to the new one you’ll see how the line just wears through the soft Al. The new one works perfectly.
-Christopher
sweet caroline # 239
fxalbert

Post by fxalbert »

I also replaced my out haul cleat last year. Mine is attached to the base of the mast and the pull is straight up. I just never liked the idea of people pulling the line back or to the side. I could see at some point that line breaks and someone goes swimming.