Ice Box lid .....

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

Post by Guest »

Has anyone put in a support so the ice box top/entry is out of the way and does not accidentally close on someone?

[Posted by: Craig Wright
]
bslick

Post by bslick »

Is your lid attached to the counter?

Post by Guest »

My lid can be lifted completly out of the box. If tilted back it can fall on the person reaching into the box.

Need to prevent it from falling.

[Posted by: Craig Wright
]
chris_z

Post by chris_z »

Same here on my lid, it pops off and we just put it on top of the stove while loading or unloading the cooler. The drain is somewhat plugged up right now, any good way to clear it out?

Post by Guest »

We've considered putting some kind of hinge arrangement for the lid, but never figured out how to avoid all the little 'gotchas' in the installation. A project for this winter, perhaps.

During commissioning, we had the yard connect the icebox drain to a foot pump and tee it into the sink drain. Draining an icebox into the bilge is just bad design IMHO. Anybody who's done any cruising at all has spilled milk or raw chicken juice into the icebox at least once. You only have to do that once to understand why draining into the bilge is a really bad idea.

We haven't had the drain clog, but if we did, it would have to be very bad to not get cleared with a few vigorous pumps.

You might try taking taking the inflator pump for your inflatable and holding the end tight against the end of the hose.

[Posted by: Dan Grossman
]

Post by Guest »

I have not had our drain clog as of yet ( knock on wood) but I am careful to double bag all of our meat. I have a "sterilite" basket on the removable shelf that I put things that I would rather not have knocked over - milk for one. As for milk, I buy the parmalat milk that doesn't require refrigeration until you open it. After opening, it fits nicely in the basket. would love to hear more on this one!

[Posted by: Maya
]

Post by Guest »

My dealer, Custom Offshore, intalled a set of hinges and a spring to lock the lid up when we're loading or unloading. Works great.

[Posted by: Mike Brown
]

Post by Guest »

To: Mike Brown
Like your idea on the hinges and spring. Can you provide details on which components you used for this? Any photos?

[Posted by: george marks
]
Vento Solare

Re: Ice Box lid .....

Post by Vento Solare »

An old post but I thought I would add information on the hinges and spring latch I installed on Vento Solare.

Spring Latch on Defender Website

Suncor Stainless Heavy Duty Flush Door Hinge on Defender Website

fxalbert

Post by fxalbert »

I did the same to Resolute #33 as Vento Solare #266. Works GREAT!
cercole

Post by cercole »

This is how our lid is supported. Works very well. The thumb latch will hold it open while sailing.
IMG_4578.JPG
IMG_4578.JPG (850.79 KiB) Viewed 15916 times
IMG_4579.JPG
IMG_4579.JPG (590.77 KiB) Viewed 15916 times
-Christopher
sweet caroline # 239
fxalbert

Post by fxalbert »

I put the same set up on my icebox lid.
sderiis

Post by sderiis »

My lid can be lifted completly out of the box. If tilted back it can fall on the person reaching into the box.

Need to prevent it from falling.