Dual Genoa Cars Not Allowed

Topics about Class Rules and the RRS.

Moderators: forumadmin, Vento Solare

Dan Corcoran

Dual Genoa Cars Not Allowed

Post by Dan Corcoran »

When swapping between OD jibs and PHRF jibs, it was suggested by my sailmaker to have two cars, one following an adjustable length behind the other. I learned through Bill and another part of this forum that it would be a rules violation. To make the modification of the class rule acceptable, it seems only we need a stipulation that the second car at any time in OD racing must be taped up or otherwise rendered non-functional, but I am not in the know why this solution wasn't already proposed.

Up to now I have simply used my OD jib for everything as a result, floudering a bit in JAM racing. However due to COVID I will find myself doing a bit more JAM racing this season, and am starting to care as I am compelled to pull out the genoa.

I was wondering if the class is open to revisiting this again. My understanding is that the idea is allowed in the 105 class.

I realize I could remove the car for OD, but gosh I would need to jeopardize four (2 per track) watertight deck penetrations each time I add or remove the car. Am I wrong?

If no (rules committee not revisit), how about instead I add a car on my track like this one
https://discountmarinesource.com/store/ ... ption=true

then to that car add a block when racing PHRF and remove the block from the car when racing OD? Could this be allowed by the class rules?

dan
Strider 332
Bengt J

Re: Dual Genoa Cars Not Allowed

Post by Bengt J »

The Technical Committee has discussed the proposal and came to the conclusion that the ruling by a previous TC posted on 5/11/18 still stands.
Installing a second car of any kind is prohibited for OD racing, that will be considered an installed spare Jib Car.
The increased purchase to 8:1 was approved to enhance the use of the inhaulers for the Class Jib and it is not mandatory to implement this. Perhaps for boats frequently switching from OD to PHRF configuration the standard/original 4:1 Jib Car adjustment is a better system.

Bengt
Dan Corcoran

Post by Dan Corcoran »

I can see the rationale for switching to 4:1 and did in fact do this a couple of weekends ago. Unfortunately, in response to the COVID pandemic, we need to make our boats easier to operate not more difficult in reduced crew size scenarios as we are encountering now as our clubs and others on long island sound limit boats to Plus One rules (4 people for a J/109) an idea that the Storm Trysail Club introduced last year to create a level playing field for owners challenged to find crew as the sport declines.
https://stormtrysail.org/?s=plus+1

I would rather not equip for a 135% jib ever so that we keep up our crew experience and equipment tuning for OD sails. Unfortunately, we find ourselves in more JAM races as SPIN divisions are cancelled sometimes moments before a race, and prefer not to get torpedoed by large genoa competitors.

In Plus One we are already asking much more of our crew especially in W/L races, some of which are older than 60 years and others women. What prompted my post is that in testing 4:1 and crew size 4, my crew is complaining that we need to make the boat easier to operate.

A dual car solution would be most appreciated, and it seems to reason those equipped are at a weight disadvantage in OD racing. At least, I can imagine a half dozen of you that would remove your autopilot would also remove second cars for OD, yes?

dan
strider 332
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Dan,

I've been investigating the dual car too. The track aft end cap can be easily removed with screws on the top into the track. This allows putting the 2nd car on and removing when needed. No need to have a 2nd person hold a wrench below. My take is that you may put on the 2nd car to use for beer can racing and then when you need to do a class sanction OD event you may easily remove it. You will need to get the Harken blue plastic bearing loader/keeper for each car to store it and load it on and off the track.
Dan Corcoran

Post by Dan Corcoran »

No deck penetration? Cool, I missed that!
Do you do this 2nd car? Some questions if you do
(1) Anything I should know about choosing/purchasing the car, as I see the ideal car (tangs on each end, no sheve) is not available. Do I add tangs to the harken car somehow?
(2) When you set it up for a removable car, what hardware do you use to avoid changing out for a longer bungee cord and/or reapply bungee cord hog rings?
(3) Other than avoiding loads of line in the cockpit when swapping to the larger sail, any other benefits to having the 2nd car I am not aware of? E.g. it is useful for code-0 or sail changes?

thanks!
dan
Dan Corcoran

Post by Dan Corcoran »

Our tracks are not compatible with cars that have captive bearings? That sucks!
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Remove the wires that hold the captive balls and they will work like the older series cars