Engine Raw Water Flushing System

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

Vento Solare

Engine Raw Water Flushing System

Post by Vento Solare »

I've been contemplating installing an engine raw water flushing system for some time in order to make winterizing the system easier, and prevent dumping seawater and pink stuff in the bilge. This winter, I finally pulled the trigger. I purchased a bronze 3/4" ball valve with two 90 degree and one straight barb. The valve allows normal flow from the strainer to the pump. The other position changes the pump suction to the flushing hose.

With the valve in the mid-way position, it allows the strainer to be drained. The flushing hose may be placed in a bucket of fresh water to remove salt water from the system with the engine running. Then the hose may be inserted in an anti-freeze bottle, then once anti-freeze sprays out the exhaust, the engine is secured.

When I was connecting everything I found that the strainer discharge was 5/8" with the pump suction being 3/4". Rather than trying to force either an undersized or oversized connection, I decided to insert a 3/4" to 5/8" inline reducer so that hoses are properly sized to the connections.

The picture below shows everything connected. I still need to fabricate a bracket to hold the valve in position.

Close-up of hose connections
Dan Corcoran

Re: Engine Raw Water Flushing System

Post by Dan Corcoran »

Can the strainer hose be used as an emergency bilge pump in the case of severe flooding?
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Yes it can. Realize that the capacity of the pump probably isn't much more than the regular bilge pump.
Mvallus

Post by Mvallus »

Bill,

Did you by chance add an engine compartment light? Been thinking about this...
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Matt,

Yes I did add a light. It is an LED dome light with integral switch mounted on the inside center of the forward facing piece that is part of the top step structure. It is wired to the interior lights circuit. I ran the wire from the light and made a small service loop on the inside of the engine compartment so the top step can be rotated and lamp unscrewed to remove the step. The wire runs aft and is connected to the 12V line that powers the light in the garage.

It isn't any special light. Defender had them in a barrel for $20 at their annual sale a few years back.