Replacement Wheel for Helm

Topics about Class Rules and the RRS.

Moderators: forumadmin, Vento Solare

Vento Solare

Replacement Wheel for Helm

Post by Vento Solare »

I was contacted by Bristol Yacht Rigging who was asked to investigate alternatives for the existing 54" Edson Diamond series wheel. The owner has a pedestal mounted chart plotter and the spokes make it cumbersome to use. Bristol Yacht Rigging wanted to see if there might be a 3 spoke class legal wheel that could be bolted on as a replacement. I didn't know the answer and thought best to ask the question here for the Technical Committee to provide a response. Here are some discussion points.
  1. Some European boats are pictured with a carbon wheel and a recess on the deck. May a US boat be retrofitted with something similar?
  2. Is there any 3 spoke class approved replacement wheel for the Edson Diamond series wheel

Re: Replacement Wheel for Helm

Post by 35601 »

Has anyone done the wheel well in order to add a larger wheel? I have a french built boat without that option so it has smaller wheel I believe 48 inch. The current wheel has a broken spoke. The repair is almost the cost of a new wheel. I figure if I'm going to replace the wheel I may do the wheel well. I believe the difference between the USA to French boat was the height of the pedestal. The USA boats using a taller pedestal.
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

I'm providing additional information for the Technical Committee.

Brennan Hale from Bristol Yacht Rigging who was the individual who contacted me originally just sent the following information about the Carbonautica Wheel used on some of the European built J/109s along with photos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 4:29 PM
To: Brennan Hale

Subject: J/109

Hi Brennan,

Thanks for your enquiry- we have supplied the j109 with a 1500mm wheel here in the uk before.

It’s available in a glass / carbon painted version ( $2640 ) - 4kg

- and in Clear Carbon ( $3570 ) - 3.2kg

The wheel is legal here in UK as it doesn’t directly increase the speed of the boat. Unfortunately I do not have any official info for the USA - however - as it doesn’t directly increase boat speed only handling and responsiveness compared to the steel wheel- it may be ok. (there is a significant weight saving between the two wheels but not significant in relation to the boat weight overall.)

Wheel despatch is 4 weeks from receipt of funds.

Delivery is as per Dhl / fedex best rate.

If this offer is of interest please advise and I’ll get a quote ( $300 max approx )

Best, john
----------------------------------------------------
Further to my last mail - here are a couple of pictures of the wheel - also comes standard in white and grey. We can custom paint as well. Any solid RAL colour. ( not luminous or metallic though)
Attachments
IMG_1589.JPG
IMG_1589.JPG (907.78 KiB) Viewed 15687 times
IMG_1714.JPG
IMG_1714.JPG (339.94 KiB) Viewed 15687 times
Bengt J

Post by Bengt J »

All US built boats came standard with a 54" Edson Diamond wheel, no options was available from the factory. This wheel is still readily available, therefore no class legal substitutions are allowed for US built boats.
French built boats, as far as we can tell, came with several options from the factory first a 48" Edson Diamond wheel, then a 50" aluminum wheel made by Lewmar and last an optional 59" carbon wheel made by Lewmar. The 59" wheel was recessed into the cockpit floor. Any of these options are allowed as replacements for French built boats.

Class rules 1.2, 1.4 & 4.1 are about specifications, modifications, repairs and factory supplied equipment. The TC's interpretation is that the J/109 came with two slightly different "as built" factory standards that must be followed. It is not class legal to pick and choose options between these two standards, US built boats must follow the US factory standard and French built boats must follow the French factory standard.

Post by 35601 »

I'm interested in finding any information on the wheel well kit for the larger wheel. I need to eventually replace the wheel it has a cracked spoke so Id probably do the wheel well. French boat 356
sfbarber

Post by sfbarber »

All US built boats came standard with a 54" Edson Diamond wheel, no options was available from the factory. This wheel is still readily available, therefore no class legal substitutions are allowed for US built boats.

Class rules 1.2, 1.4 & 4.1 are about specifications, modifications, repairs and factory supplied equipment. The TC's interpretation is that the J/109 came with two slightly different "as built" factory standards that must be followed. It is not class legal to pick and choose options between these two standards, US built boats must follow the US factory standard and French built boats must follow the French factory standard.

The post above was a while ago so I wanted to see if anything in the rules have changed. This is the only wheel class rules allows?

Edson Part Number: 642BD-54CG-GRAY

https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/prod ... 42-54.html
Bengt J

Post by Bengt J »

The ruling from January 30,2021 is still valid.

Keep in mind the difference in Factory standards between US & French built boats, if in doubt ask the TC, do not pick and choose between the two.
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Bengt - Thanks for the update. We'll need to contact Edson as the Diamond series wheel is no longer listed as a product to purchase, but there are replacement parts listed. There are some wheels that pop up at retailers when the search is done, but my guess is once stock is depleted the item will be dropped.

Link for Wheels Offered

Search for "Diamond" on Edson website