Solar Panel

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

Solar Panel

Post by 35601 »

Any one add a solar panel to the boat? What size? I'm looking to keep batteries charged, run the ice box which is air cooled unit.
Vento Solare

Re: Solar Panel

Post by Vento Solare »

Dan,

I assume you are on a mooring. The draw on the reefer in the manual is 4.5 - 6 amps / hour. The panel should be sized to handle that, plus the occasional bilge pump cycling. Are you planning on adding a solar charge controller too?

Post by 35601 »

Yes on a mooring, yes will be adding a charge controler.
carlbraden

Post by carlbraden »

G'Day,

I installed a dual battery solar controller as below - plus a flexible 12v 200W panel that I leave in the cockpit on a mooring - very functional.

Carl
Attachments
Solar Controller.docx
(140.51 KiB) Downloaded 693 times
Quin

Post by Quin »

I put a solar panel on my boat last year to help keep the batteries charged, and it’s been fantastic. I chose a 100W panel, and it’s been perfect for running my ice box and keeping everything else powered up. Before picking one, I spent a lot of time looking up different types and brands to find the best one.

I found this excellent website with reviews and articles about solar panels that helped me decide. I went with a SolarTech 100W panel, and it’s been doing a great job. It keeps everything running smoothly without any problems. If you’re considering getting a solar panel, you should check the articles to help you figure out which one is right for you.