Bilge pump replacement

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

Mvallus

Bilge pump replacement

Post by Mvallus »

Has anyone replaced their electric bilge pump? Or, any recommendations on a replacement. My boat came with a Rule-Mate 1100 GPH, which is not original, does not fit very well, and is malfunctioning.
Vento Solare

Re: Bilge pump replacement

Post by Vento Solare »

Matt,

Hull 266 has a Rule 800 with a separate Aqualarm SS209 Float Switch in the bilge section under the table. This has a remote light at the engine panel that illuminates if the pump is on more than 2 minutes. The switch comes with an alarm but it isn't installed. All this was original equipment on the boat but has been replaced over the years. There is an external discharge check valve mounted about 18 inches from the pump.

Mvallus

Post by Mvallus »

Very good. Thank you, Bill.
Dan Corcoran

Post by Dan Corcoran »

Plan on replacing the short hose from the bilge pump to the stop valve, mine split open during the bilge pump replacement. On hull 332 it is black flexible bilge pump hose 1 1/8" diameter, 12 1/2 inches long. I attempted to substitute normal tubing and found it wasn't flexible enough.
jrlivingston

Post by jrlivingston »

Has anyone found a pump that lasts more than a few seasons? It seems like every time I need to replace a pump due to a faulty float switch.
Dan Corcoran

Post by Dan Corcoran »

** DONT USE RULE 1100, INSTEAD 800 **, my prior pump is a Rule 1100 (looks like the size of a Rule 800), the new Rule 1100 is bigger and does not fit.
Dan Corcoran

Post by Dan Corcoran »

My boat was rigged with an ultima switch (no moving part) float switch and a Rule pump that has no internal float switch. Seems like a good arrangement, better than having a pump with an internal float switch.

My float switch looks old enough to be original equipment on the boat.