Sails and Rules

Sail trim, rig tuning, and related topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

bartvet

Sails and Rules

Post by bartvet »

So I have just gone through a rather generous albeit slightly aging sail inventory and have some questions.

One of my main sails appears to be in very good shape despite its unknown/unverified age, no certificate, no label, no number. Do I just send it back to the loft for measurement and a certificate if I want use use it in a class or fleet event?

My "class" spinnaker certificate says 109.02 sq meters, exceeding the class limit. It is an older chute (2012) but in very, very good shape. Two questions: Why would a sail maker build a sail for "class" use that didn't meet the specs? And do I send this back to the loft to be recut and have another certificate issued?

I have a similar problem with a class jib that has a 1/2 width of 2.125 m, limit 2.125. Again, older sail (2013) but very lightly used. I'd be surprised if it is not a fast enough sail to use for at least another season. What do I do with the 0.001 m overage?
Vento Solare

Re: Sails and Rules

Post by Vento Solare »

Bart,

Any sailmaker may measure the sail and register it. The original sail maker should have done that. The sail tags are available on the class website for the sailmakers to purchase.

The "large" spinnaker may have shrunk and can be measured. At some OD events for the J/30 class some spinnakers were slightly oversized and when placed in a warm car trunk for a few hours, shrunk enough to measure in.

Get the old jib remeasured. It has probably shrunk with age.
bartvet

Re: Sails and Rules

Post by bartvet »

Bill,

Thanks as usual!

Bart