Sprit Leak

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

Post by Guest »

For the last 2 seasons we have been plagued with a leaking sprit housing (so we think). The gasket has been replaced, and the bow pulpit has been reseated and re-sealed. Every time we get a rain there is a leak at the base of the sprit housing and trickles down the bulkhead and then down under the bunk - making a mess. Can anyone shed any insight on this? Am I missing anthing obvious?

[Posted by: Maya
]

Post by Guest »

Maya,
Have you checked the joint between the deck and the forward bulkhead? Ours wasn't properly sealed, and we had leakage whenever we took water over the bow.
Dan

[Posted by: Dan Grossman
]

Post by Guest »

Dan

I will look into this. Was this a big job to have repaired? Maya

[Posted by: Maya
]

Post by Guest »

Fortunately it was handled as a warranty claim. Probably took a fair amount of labor, because it is a confined area with wiring to get in the way. Not our problem, though.

[Posted by: Dan Grossman
]
Vento Solare

Re: Sprit Leak

Post by Vento Solare »

When I purchased Hull 266 I found the sprit leaked on the delivery from Annapolis to Newport. With the boat hauled I have found where the forward seal mates against a seating ring, there was a section of the ring missing (broken off). It turns out that is the forward sleeve bearing, so I am replacing both bearings and the seal. I checked with Waterline Systems and the components for this on the J/109 are the same as the J/105. Here are some part numbers for those who may need to replace them.

Bowsprit Seal - Waterline #86241 (This is a Nitrile Rubber Rotary Lip Seal made by Parker Part # 6652 H1L7 also available elsewhere)

Retaining Ring Waterline #86252 (didn't buy it as it wasn't needed)

Bowsprit Bearing Pair (one inner and one outer) Waterline #92069 - there isn't any manufacturers part # on it.
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

An update for the Sprit seal. I recently ordered a replacement - Nitrile Rubber Rotary Lip Seal made by Parker Part # 6652 H1L7

The supplier had a minimum buy order from Parker and has stock available on the shelf now.

They are available from RI Packing and Insulation, 1903 County Street, Attleboro, MA 02703. Call their phone 401-421-8090 and you can pay by credit card over the phone. They shipped it to me via postal mail and I had it in 3 days. It was just over $50 including shipping and tax.
Attachments
sprit-seal.jpg
sprit-seal.jpg (434.53 KiB) Viewed 10829 times
Will1552

Post by Will1552 »

Good morning, just looking to update this topic if anyone has information. Where can I purchase sprit seals and sprit bearings for the J/109? Not sure I need the bearings, but my guess is someone might be looking for a vendor on those.

Chris
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Chris - for the lip seal try the number I posted above. The bearings may be more difficult as when I replaced mine they were the last ones. The pole diameter is the same as the J/105. What you might find on disassembly is the sleeve bearing have worked loose from the hull and sliding with the pole and can be reused. The long term fix is:
  • remove the bearings - it may require grinding some of the high spots in the area where the sprit resides
  • Clean well the fore and aft areas where the bearings get bonded to the hull
  • grind some grooves in the outer surface of the sleave bearings so that adhesive can flow in the grooves. Since the bearings are Delrin, the adhesives do not bond well and the bearings will work free. The grooves prevent that from happening.
  • It's been a while but I think the aft bearing needed to be inserted from the bow and pushed aft. I coated the boat surface and slid the bearing into the coated surface, then used acetone rags to remove the excess sealant.
  • I used the pole with wax paper taped tightly around it to prevent any sealant from bonding to it as as the alignment tool. Push the pole in past where the front bearing gets bonded. You'll need a second person to get the aft end in the bearing.
  • Bond the front bearing similar to the aft bearing and clean up the excess sealant. The front of the bearing should be positioned so when the lip seal is in place, it is presses between the front of the bearing and the Delrin trim ring.
  • Slide the wax paper covered pole forward so it protrudes and has both bearings engaged.
  • Let the sealant cure well - I ended up having to redo it because I only waited a day before a spinnaker set and the bearings slid under load. The next time I waited 3 days and that worked.
  • When the sealant cures, remove the pole and clean up any excess sealant on the bearing surfaces with acetone
  • Insert the pole, reassemble and you're done!
Last edited by Vento Solare on Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will1552

Post by Will1552 »

thanks Bill, that is great details!!

Cp