Electronics - Best configuration for a new J 109

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

Post by Guest »

I'm having #335 built and it should be ready 2Q 2007. I'm planning on installing a Raymarine GPS/radar system on an articulating arm at the nav station. My dilema is what, if anything, should I have repeated out to the helm. My thought is a small GPS display so I can quickly glance to get position and GPS time without having to jump down below. I don't want a big display for fear of having it be too distracting or in the way. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

[Posted by: Gerry Keeler
]

Post by Guest »

I have the Raymarine C80 installed at the helm - nothing at the Nav station. Since I do all of my navigation from the helm - I like all of the functionality where I can reach it.

It is never in the way.

[Posted by: Joel Livingston
]
jim

Post by jim »

I have a new boat too. What are you doing for the racing instruments and autopilot>

Post by Guest »

Last season I used a Panasonic cf-vdw07 Toughbook screen with B&G Deckman as chartplotter/-program in cocpit. For the next season I will downsize further - the new Standard Horizon CP 180i seems very promising (C-map and AIS). I will continue using Ram Mount for max fleksibiliy. (Also: The Panasonic is bad in sunlight and Deckman has no night screen...)

[Posted by: Geir Inge Juriks
]
jim

Post by jim »

I'm still researching instruments and it seems to me that the best choices are either a Tack Tick system as the low price, simple system or the B&G 3000 or Ockam on the high end.

Regardless of what system, the paddlewheel needs to be on centerline. The J 109 does not have a flat centerline in the area forward of the mast. Does anyone have pictures and/or suggestions regarding how to install the unit on the centerline? I understand that there is a specific method to do this.

Post by Guest »

http://www.blur.se/images/blur_instrumentation.pdf

I'm waiting for #325 and choose Nexus NX2 together with Expedition as nav/tactic software.

On my previous boat I recessed the paddle wheel on the centerline with epoxi, and then removed much of the flanges. I hope I can do the same on the J/109...

[Posted by: Peter Gustafsson
]
Vento Solare

Re: Electronics - Best configuration for a new J 109

Post by Vento Solare »

It has been some time since anyone posted on this topic. My instruments aren't a "new" configuration since many were there when the original owner bought the boat in 2005. I purchased the boat in 2013 and have done some equipment upgrades and lots of system integration as much of the equipment originally installed was not setup to share data. This pdf file has the various system schematics showing the interconnections.
Vento-Solare-Schematics.pdf
(901.58 KiB) Downloaded 2484 times
The list below shows the instruments that were on the boat when I purchased it, and those replaced or added since then:
  1. Standard Horizon Quest GX1256S DSC capable VHF radio (GPS was originally not attached to radio), Currently Standard Horizon Matrix GX2150 DSC capable VHF radio with AIS receiver with Actisense NGW-1 converter to interface directly with NMEA 2000 bus. CMP30 Remote mic/speaker at helm.
  2. Nexus NX2 FDX Server with 3 XL displays on mast and, 2 Multi control displays on spray hood, and 1 wind data display on spray hood.
  3. Nexus sensors include Twin Fin wind transducer on mast, 53mm Speed/Temperature Transducer (moved to centerline in 2013), 200khz depth transducer, Nexus 6 axis HPC compass
  4. Nexus/Garmin GND10 added to replace various NMEA 0183 connections with a NMEA 2000 bus. This also added a PC interface via USB with easy access to instrument data
  5. Raymarine RS125 GPS - no longer used but retained as an installed spare mounted on aft rail
  6. Raymarine SR50 Satellite weather receiver
  7. Raymarine RD418D digital radar mounted on removable mast stbd side aft
  8. Raymarine C70 classic multifunction display at Nav station - replaced 2015 with Raymarine e97 multifunction display
  9. Raymarine C90W multifunction display at helm (interfaced with Radar) - replaced 2015 with Raymarine e125 multifunction display
  10. Raymaine S1 Autohelm with S100 remote - Upgraded to S1G in 2013 by adding roll and pitch sensor
  11. B&G T41 Triton display added on spray hood in 2015. This is on the NMEA 2000 bus and now provides graphical wind display along with any other data that you want to see
  12. Linsys WRT54G Wifi added in 2014 to stream sensor data so it can be used by applications running on a tablet (PC, Android or iPad)
I guess this shows that you can really use most any vendor's equipment with others. What I wanted to do was upgrade the older Raymarine multifunction displays to the B&G Touch 2 displays. A friend let me borrow his and I interfaced it with the existing equipment. All the sensor information was there but I was unable to use the Raymarine Radar with it, or control the Raymarine autopilot so went with newer e series Raymarine MFDs.

Some display pictures are below.

Spray hood with 3 Nexus displays and one B&G display

Nexus XL Displays on Mast

e125 MFD at Helm with Autopilot Display in Dialog Box

e97 Display at Nav Station