Sail inventory for PHRF racing - what to use?

Sail trim, rig tuning, and related topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

Post by Guest »

I will be racing class and PHRF in 2007. The question is what is the best complement of PHRF sails to build. A 155% is the largest sail allowed without incurring a penalty, but the usable wind range may be too narrow to justify using it. Is a 145% the best choice? Or is a 155% and a 135% a better choice?

[Posted by: Gerry Keeler
]
crash

Post by crash »

Gerry,
It depends to some degree on where you will be racing and what the both the average wind speed is, as well as what the range of wind speed is. Also how many folks you plan to race with. If where you race has good wind, you might consider taking the One Design Rating (105% jib, 108 sqmtr spin) as in anything over 15kts you should make out pretty good. If the wind is light where you are, then the 155 and a bigger PHRF chute will pay off. Our all purpose #1 is a 150% paneled Kevlar sail...and it is good up to about 17kts true. Our #3 is a 105% 3DL and its good from 15 up. That leave a pretty narrow range...and sail selection becomes critical (i.e. its blowing 17-18, so you are thinking #3...unless the wind goes down..at 12-13 you are not fast compared to using the 155. Here on the Chesapeake, I would really rather have a Light #1 that is a 155, an AP#1 that is also 155, maybe a #2in the 140-135 range, and then the #3 at 105. Another consideration is that if you are going to race IRC, then most 109s seem to get rated with a 145 or so...

Post by Guest »

Gerry has a good sense of it. We use the 155,143,105 head sail configuration. The 143 really fills in the gap and it points and stands up better at 15-20kts.