150 Genoa

How to make the boat go faster or compete within the Class.

Moderator: forumadmin

nc_109_driver

Post by nc_109_driver »

What are you using for a PHRF genoa? Any loft and tuning recommendations?

Post by Guest »

Craig,
I had a 145 built for PHRF racing. I've had my boat (334) for a year and I'm ditching the 145 for the class sail. The effective wind range is so narrow, it's not worth cluttering the boat with it. The class sail points better and is faster to tack. It seems to do just fine at 4 knots and above. If you want my 145, let me know. It's for sale.
Gerry

[Posted by: Gerry
]
smcmanus

Post by smcmanus »

I went to class sails for all PHRF races in order to compete with boats of similiar design & length. We race out of Annapolis, Md. With that said if you have any intention of doing IRC racing I would keep the genoa. We recently did the East Coast IRC Championship and the genoa really helped us & the boat rates well with the genoa.
crash

Post by crash »

I raced for 4 years with a 150 in PHRF. I was going to switch to the class sails like Steve did when we decided we need to sell the boat. If you look at the VPP diagrams, there isn't enough of a boat speed difference between the 150 (or 155 PHRF Max) and the class jib to make up for the rating difference, unless you constantly race in less then 8 knots or so.

Post by Guest »

Don't go there! We've used the phrf genny for three years, and it just can't be justified. First, there is a big expense, then you need stronger folks on the winches, then you have to learn to fly it (very different from the jib). Unless you are in a very light air all the time area, it is not a sail for the 109.

[Posted by: Ed Dailey
]
blur

Post by blur »

What's the typical penalty in PHRF for going with 150% genoa vs jib?

Typical penalty in IRC is 2%, 1.6% in IMS/ORC internationa and in our local handicap system LYS it's 1%.
chris_z

Post by chris_z »

Up here in NE, the hit for adding a 155 to a J109 is 3 seconds a mile. As we do A LOT of racing in under 10 knots of breeze (and all our racing is PHRF) it is well worth dropping our rating from 72 to 69. At the low end of the wind speed we pick up anywhere from .3 to .5 knots of boat speed, with giving up no pointing ability as the extra boat speed generates additional lift from the keel.

I will agree with the other posters though in saying that if you are almost always racing in 10 knots or more of true, then there is no need to go to a #1. In those conditions the #1 and #3 will get you almost identical boat speed and the class headsail will let you point much higher.

As far as loft and tuning recommendations, we have had great success with our local Doyle loft up here in MA. We have a light #1 for 0-8 true, and a medium/heavy #1 for 8-12 true that really give the boat some horsepower. As far as tuning goes, while we may back the rig off a little for the light #1, the base settings work as well for the med/heavy #1 in 8-12 as they due for the #3 in 10-15. We tend to leave a fair amount of forestay sag in the sail, moving the draft far forward to pick up some extra power in the sail.