Keeping the class 'fun'

Topics about the governance, rules, activities of the Class Association.

Moderator: forumadmin

Post by Guest »

Now that we're at the mid-point of our first season as an independent class, and the NAs are over, I would like to start a conversation about what we want to be when we grow up.

Thus far, I've observed a lot of great people and excellent sailors, spirited but friendly competition, willingness to share expertise, good sportsmanship, playing within the rules. This is what I think the class should be.

Here are some things that I fear we could become:
-- we drive race committees crazy with general recalls and black flags
-- multiple protests per day over blatant infractions
-- angry words on the course, and hard feelings off the course
-- excessively aggressive tactics
-- series standings determined in the Room rather than on the water
-- owners torturing the class rules for minor advantage
-- annual vituperations over class rules to close loopholes which have been (or might possibly be) exploited for minor advantage
-- more and more onerous entry qualifications as the class struggles to prevent boats from achieving minor advantage
-- the class becomes a battleground for commercial wars between the big sailmakers
-- escalating costs
-- our dirty linen gets regularly aired in Sailing Anarchy

With the end result that those of us who want to sail as well as we can and have fun doing it get alienated and stop participating in class events.

All of these have happened in other OD classes.

Unfortunately, some of them also happened at our first NAs. This is a bad omen.

We have done some things in the rules to try to prevent some of them, such as prohibiting paid crew and (as of next season) sail buttons. But I fear that while addressing symptoms, we leave alone the greater problem: the risk of attracting a few owners who play to win at any cost, and spoil the class for the rest of us.

Under our constitution, discussions in this forum can ultimately inform proposals for rules changes, policy statements by the Board and so on.
So, can we use it to discuss ideas for keeping the class fun and sportsmanlike?

Let me toss out a few, none of which I feel strongly about:
-- we create a very clear statement about the kind of sportsman-like behaviors expected in the class, insist everybody sign it, and take disciplinary action if needed for violators.

-- we consider doing as the J/44 class, and buy identical sails in bulk from a single loft for major class events

-- we refuse to engage in escalating battles against tiny advantages, as long as the knowledge is shared and they aren't in fact significant advantages

-- if the reason for aggressive behavior is the proverbial Rolex watch (which probably costs less than a class mainsail, but whatever...) then maybe we ought to try to limit the monetary value of prizes in class events

-- we institutionalize "peer counselling" to gently encourage owners who step too close to the line to consider the errors of their ways, and also as an alternative to protests (when there is no damage, of course).

Please discuss.

[Posted by: Dan Grossman
]