Projects for Spring 2014

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

cercole

Projects for Spring 2014

Post by cercole »

Hello All,
Anyone have any good projects in the works for this spring?
Some things I'm going to start working on.
Rewire the Xantrax battery monitor. Mine does not show charging on the #1 battery bank.
Rudder bearings replace / adjust.
Refinish the radar pole, clear coat is flaking off.
Add a battery combining relay.
Thinking of adding a flexible solar panel to help keep the batteries topped up as we keep the boat on a mooring.
Make lee cloths for distance racing.
Change out the stereo, the buttons stopped working on mine.
Make a new canvas wheel cover
Make a duck bill extension for the dodger

-Christopher
sweet caroline # 239
Vento Solare

Re: Projects for Spring 2014

Post by Vento Solare »

Christopher,

I have a spreadsheet with planned projects and recurring maintenance. This is based on what I've been doing on my J/30 over the past 10 years. I've added projects based on the survey, and what I found during the delivery from Annapolis to Newport in October. Attached is the spreadsheet with the projects and status. The 2nd tab is where I keep track of parts and supplies needed.
J109 Projects 2013-14.xls
(143.5 KiB) Downloaded 731 times
This link has photos that documents some of the projects. Eventually I'll setup a project blog, but for now I'll just put photos in this shared area.

Now all I need is this cold weather to go away so some outside work may be accomplished!
ceaves

Post by ceaves »

Wow, Bill, that is the best project list/spreadsheet I have seen on this topic. Thanks for the inspiration--I have modeled a similar version myself in Google Docs to track mine.

A few questions?

1. Did you make the table cover yourself or have someone else do it? Looks great
2. On line storage board in the stbd locker, could share some more details on this? I would like to make something exactly like it.
3. How hard was fabricating lexan engine controls cover? Again, did you do it yourself? Or know of a place that could easily do it.

Finally, with a list like that, how do you have time to sail? :-)
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

I had a friend make the table cover. He has an industrial sewing machine and used it to stitch the Sunbrella and Velcro. He stitched in closed cell foam along the top table edge to help protect it and allow the cover to sit flat.

The line storage on the stbd locker went like this.
1. I measured the length of the cover then bought 1 x 2" oak strips and cut to length and left about 1" clearance on the end when the locker is closed so it doesn't hit the lip.. I stacked two strips on top of each other.
2. I used stainless screw eyes along one edge of the 1 x 2 spaced about 4 inches between them. This is where the cord used to hang the lines will be lead through and anchored.
3. I used 1.5" screws, nylon spacers and large diameter washers screwed in at the same distance as the screw eyes along the other outside edge of the 1 x 2. This is where the loops of the cord used to hang lines fit over. The large washers stop the loops from sliding off, but provide a convenient method to remove one end of the loop through a coiled line, that can then be suspended on the loop.
4. I closed the locker top and did a trial fit from below so that the 1 x 2 position could be determined. You want this on the hinge side of the locker, but far enough away from the outboard locker lip so it does not interfere with openeing and closing the cover. Mark this position by tracing around the 1 x 2 on the underside of the cover.
5. Unscrew the hinges and remove the locker cover. Use masking tape and tape about 1/8" outboard of that line to isolate the area.
6. Use a sander and remove the gelcoat inside the area that is masked to expose the raw fiberglass.
7. Mix some thickened epoxy and bond the 1 x 2 that does not have the screw eyes to the cover in the area that was sanded. I painted the 1 x 2 white on all sides first, except the side to be bonded. When the board was bonded, I made sure to build up a fillet around the seam to establish a strong bond.
8. Once the epoxy sets, screw the 1 x 2 with the eyes towards the hinges on top of the board that was bonded. Size the screws so you don't extend into the locker top.
9. I attached a bungee cord using screw eyes to the board with a loop sized so the cover can be held open with a bungee loop on the stbd winch.

I made the lexan cover. I bought a sheet at Home Depot and traced the old one. I cut it with a scroll saw, and used a Dremel tool with a router bit to trim the edges. The critical part is to make sure the screw holes are properly alingned so the cover sits flat on the molded lip. This was the problem with the old cover. The misalignment caused it to warp, letting in water and dirt. Before the foam gasket was glued in place, I masked about 5/8" around the edge and sprayed that area black. That way the adhesive from the gasket didn't show on the front.

The list is kind of overwhelming, particularly since I have a similar list for my J/30. Hey - I retired at the end of last year so have more time available now. The limiting factor is the cold weather precluding some of the outside projects....
Last edited by Vento Solare on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ceaves

Post by ceaves »

Bill, thanks again. Excellent description. I think I will try to do this before I put the boat in the water. Running out of time before launch for everything I am trying to get done....
Vento Solare

Projects for Fall 2014

Post by Vento Solare »

I've updated my project list for the 2014-2015 winter season while the boat is hauled. The attached spreadsheet has both routine periodic maintenance and my projects for this winter. Pictures of work in process are at this link.
Attachments
J109 Projects 2014-15.xls
(62.5 KiB) Downloaded 565 times