J/109 Exchange between Portugal - Long Island Sound

Discussions for topics applicable just to Fleet #10 - Includes New York City, Hudson River, and Long Island Sound bordering New York & Connecticut

Moderator: forumadmin

Vento Solare

J/109 Exchange between Portugal - Long Island Sound

Post by Vento Solare »

Below is an exchange of emails regarding the potential for a "swap" agreement.

Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 9:58 AM
To: Bud Rogers
Subject: FW: J/109 special request

Hi Bud,

Great to see you at Block Island Race Week. As you see below I received an indirect inquiry from a Dutch owner interested in bartering his J109 in the Algarve in exchange for a “week or so” aboard a J109 in the LIS area (or my guess anywhere in the northeast) so he can cruise Long Island Sound and the Hudson.

We’ve had some difficulty meeting charter requests from foreign owners but this is a barter so it could be different from an insurance perspective. I responded to Christiaan Landman that I would circulate the inquiry to my Fleet 10 email list and request that you post it on the J109 website.

We can then let any interested owner respond at his or her convenience.
Thanks very much!

Best regards,
Rick
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Christiaan Landman [mailto:christiaan.landman@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 8:49 AM
To: Rick Lyall
Subject: J/109 special request

Dear Mr. Lyall,

On the website of J109.org I saw that you are the contact for the J109 fleet in the Long Island Sound Area. I'm writing you on behalf of my Dutch friend (Frans) also J109 owner. Frans and I have sailed many dual handed competitions. Last weekend we competed in the UK Round The Island Race (this time with crew). After the race he told me that one of his wishes is to sail with a J109 in the NY-area, especially Long Island Sound / Hudson for a week or so. I wondered if it would be possible to arrange something like this via the US J109 owners-group. Frans tried to arrange this a couple of years ago himself, but at the time was unsuccessful.

Lending ones J109 to a stranger, I understand, is not so simple and mostly a matter of trust. If necessary, Frans can provide references e.g. a statement of good seamanship, possibly via the Jboats network. There could also be an arrangement based upon reciprocity. Frans' J109 will be in Portugal (Algarve) for the next 2 years or so and I am confident that a barter deal can be made, whereby the owner of the J109 can also sail with Frans' J109 in Portugal. His J is immaculately maintained and has a high tech 2014 sail wardrobe including a code 0. Combined with the beautiful weather in Portugal it for sure also is a great sailing proposition.

This part of my investigation into the possibilities is a 'secret venture'. Off course the other J109-owner and Frans can arrange any (barter) deal amongst themselves.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Christiaan Landman
+31 645630260