Crew weight

Topics about Class Rules and the RRS.

Moderators: forumadmin, Vento Solare

bmastror

Crew weight

Post by bmastror »

Can crew weight rules be discussed during the annual meeting? I suggest something similar to the J/105 class rules were the weight of the driver is included. "The maximum crew weight (in swimming apparel) for one-design racing is 474 kilograms (1045 lbs.)
with no limit on numbers of crew. An Owner who is the sole Driver for a regatta may elect a weight of
100 kg (220 lbs.) for that regatta, in which case he or she shall not be subject to weigh-in or other weight
check. "
Vento Solare

Re: Crew weight

Post by Vento Solare »

Brooke,

So people can understand the impact of the proposed change, can you please provide examples on where the present system may present a problem or how the proposed change might help ? I am aware that there are other classes that include the skipper in the crew weight, while others exclude the skipper weight.

Thanks,
bmastror

Re: Crew weight

Post by bmastror »

I don't think there would be a problem if the max weight of the driver (220 lbs) is added to the current J/109 one-design rule crew weight of 1,213 lbs. Where this helps is for crews that have a lighter driver and anything under 220 lbs can be added to the crew weight. This evens out overall crew weight for all boats. The J/105 rules have a good solution for this.