Mainsheet cleat support post

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

J-109 Emoticon

Mainsheet cleat support post

Post by J-109 Emoticon » Tue May 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Anyone have any experience repairing the support post which the block/cleat assembly are mounted forward of the traveler? Mine pulled out at AYC Spring. Access to underneath that part of the cockpit appears to be very difficult.

Thanks

j30_rhapsody

Re: Mainsheet cleat support post

Post by j30_rhapsody » Tue May 23, 2017 2:58 pm

JR - since I'm on the boat now, I took a look underneath. I've got a single 7/16" hex nut that appears pretty accessible in between the steering idler wheels. Topside there are 4 hex head bolts that fasten the aluminum plate to the traveler track where a single screw threads into the top of the rod (it may actually float and not thread into the rod). I think that the rod is mostly under tension, as I can't see what would compress it based on where the main sheet swivel attaches.

Bengt J

Post by Bengt J » Wed May 24, 2017 8:46 am

The traveller cleat support is a SS tube with 5/16 or M8 threads at both ends.
On the way to NA last year the top bolt pulled out by completely stripping the threads and the track started to flex up to an 1". In Newport we tried to fix it but to get to the bottom bolt you have to remove all headliners and wood trim in the back of the aft cabin and that is not all -on Zig Zag the bolt is glassed over. Needless to say we could not use the middle 2 ft of the traveller that regatta.
Back home I ended up drilling a 1/8" hole true the tube and bolt about 1/2" below the plate for the cleat and installed a 1/8" cotter pin to secure it. The cotter pin was strong enough for the AYC spring regatta.

j30_rhapsody

Post by j30_rhapsody » Wed May 24, 2017 4:39 pm

After reading Bengt's post, I will check my support again. When I took the traveler off a while back to replace the bearings in the mainsheet car, the tube fell off, and I assumed it was just for compression. Now I know otherwise.

Attached is a picture underneath that shows where the bolt passes through the deck to the post on Vento Solare. Right side of picture is forward. This is looking up between the steering idler wheels.
Attachments
under deck for traveler support.jpg
under deck for traveler support.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 149 times

J-109 Emoticon

Post by J-109 Emoticon » Fri May 26, 2017 9:47 am

IMG_1314.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG (521.63 KiB) Viewed 131 times
So in my case the bottom threads pulled out of the tube. I have the same access problem you have on ZZ. The entire area is boxed in. I'm thinking about sawing out access from the starboard side lazerette to get access to the lower bolt. Hard to see from the picture however that's plywood behind the steering pully.

jng7000

Post by jng7000 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:29 pm

We had the same problem recently on Junkyard Dog. There seems to be a threaded insert in each end of the SS tube that failed on our boat. There is a phillips head screw which you can only see once you pull the headliner down inside the two wood boards that form a "V". You can see the headliner you'll need to pull down in the picture Bill put up. We have the same nut he shows but at least on our boat that's not the one you need. Easiest way we found to confirm we had the right fastener was to pull a measurement from the handrail on the side of the stairs/companionway to the post outside, then pull that same measurement under the boat through the starboard storage area.

It requires some advanced yoga maneuvers to turn the screw but it can be done. A phillips bit on a ratchet wrench may be helpful. We also found having one person hold the screw and turning the SS tube from up top was easier. We put an eyebolt on each side and a turnbuckle in between which seems to be working well so far.
IMG_1116.jpg
IMG_1116.jpg (99.75 KiB) Viewed 44 times
IMG_1120.jpg
IMG_1120.jpg (68.15 KiB) Viewed 44 times
IMG_1121.jpg
IMG_1121.jpg (65.73 KiB) Viewed 44 times
IMG_1122.jpg
IMG_1122.jpg (183.1 KiB) Viewed 44 times

j30_rhapsody

Post by j30_rhapsody » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:55 pm

I like Jim's solution better as the long term fix. Much easier to repair or replace in the future. Added to my work list in the next off season.