LED lighting

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

Dan Corcoran

LED lighting

Post by Dan Corcoran »

Does anyone have a source and part number for LED bulbs for the cabin lighting? Or even a part number for the fixture?

I am looking to replace white and red lighting in the fixtures with a lower power option, but also, for the white bulb get a bright bulb.

Dan Corcoran
Strider
Vento Solare

Re: LED lighting

Post by Vento Solare »

I bought LED bulbs from Marinebeam to replace the Halogen bulbs in all the internal lights. They have internal voltage regulators and may be dimmed. Unlike the cheap chinese knock-offs you can buy, these do not use dropping resistors that may actually burn up and cause a fire. They are brighter than the halogen bulbs they replace, have a nice "warm white" color and draw significantly less current.

Reading Lights: 9-LED Back Pin G4 SMD Power Cluster Novi (BP-G4-09X) - Warm White

Dome Light White Bulbs: 21-LED Ultra Bright G4 Replacement (AL-G4-21-WW)

Dome Light Red Bulbs: G4 LED Bulb 15 LED SMD Mini Tower (TW-G4-15-RED)
Last edited by Vento Solare on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TSweather

Post by TSweather »

Thanks for this info. Site search has no previous posts on the topic. Any chance you have the part #'s for the running, steaming, & masthead bulbs?

Not sure if country of origin matters, but think they are mostly Perko brand on US boats.
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Not all the boats have the same exterior lights, so I can't tell you exactly which bulbs to use in the existing fixtures for sure. Many of the bases are common and are easy to cross reference. Best bet is to pull out the old bulbs and match them that way. Be careful when retrofitting red and green lights that the colored lens is compatible with the LED, otherwise the light will look very dim.

Here is the West Marine link for replacement bulbs.

Marinebeam also has a good selection of replacement bulbs.

ps - the steaming light is only used when under power, so there is no power savings benefit converting it to LED. All my navigation lights and anchor light, plus the masthead tricolor light the previous owner installed were all LED. The steaming light is halogen.
TSweather

Post by TSweather »

Figured I had to do it that way, but thanks for the confirmation. Good point about the steaming light, currently need to replace that bulb anyway, though guess it is a good place to save $10-15 by just keeping it halogen.
cercole

Post by cercole »

Plus one for Marinebeam. They offer a RED GREEN replacement bulb for the Perko nav light mounted on the pulpit. I pulled the original bulb out and replaced it while comparing against the site. I did almost all of the interior lights and all the nav lights except the steaming light. Big savings in power drain. You'll notice it if you do any overnight distance racing. We had nearly a 20 amp savings when we did the vineyard just in lighting.
-Christopher
sweet caroline # 239
bmastror

Post by bmastror »

I did some recent replacement of the interior light fixtures. Of course there are no original fixture replacements since everything is LED now. These are the best solutions I could find:

reading lights: on Defender 701755 Scandvik LED Allure Reading Light - Interior (Model #: 41397)
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3534198

dome lights (red/white, but no dimmer) on Defender 700539 Dr. LED Mars Dome Light with Switch - Interior (Model #: 8001504)
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1208109
An update on this light - the back is flat with no recess, so there is not a good way to tuck in the wiring. I ended up taking the old dimming dome light out of the lazarette and placing it above the broken one in the galley. This way the new one that doesn't seat well is in the less visible stop in the lazarette.

dome lights (red/white with dimmer) on Defender 701419SSBWRE Lumitec TouchDome LED Light with Switching / Dimming - Exterior (Model #: 101098)
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=2121552