Some questions asked of the Sail Newport coordinator and responses are below.
- What are the dates for the Volvo Race stop in Newport? The village opens Tuesday 8 May with 5 days of on water racing starting Weds. 16 May through Sat. 19 May. The next race leg starts on Sunday 20 May.
- How many boats are needed? We are looking for 14 to 16 boats total for the on water events with 6 to 10 J/109s each day. The number required for each day is fluid until the event schedule firms up. The events include practice, ProAm, In Port, and Leg Start racing with the VO65 boats and a ProAm day with Marstrom M32 Catamarans. We are asking that volunteer boat owners commit to at least four of those days.
- What is a stake boat? Stake Boats define the racing perimeter for spectator boats and work in concert with Marshal Boats to ensure spectator craft do not encroach on the racing area.
- What are the stake boat responsibilities? At the beginning of each day’s on water events you will be given specific GPS coordinates where you are to hover your vessel, it is important to maintain this position. You are expected to command or delegate command to a competent operator and provide an assistant to help perform the duties of the stake boat. A maximum of 2 “crew” is to be observed, and YOU MAY bring guests (we would encourage a limit of 6), provided they represent you and the Volvo Ocean Race accordingly, and do not provide a distraction.
- How do others know I am a stake boat while on the water? Each Stake Boat will receive and display a 20 foot VOR flag to be flown from their main halyard and possibly a self contained flashing strobe which identifies them as part of the cordoned area. No other class or sponsored flags should be displayed during the event. Obviously old glory should be proudly displayed at all times.
- Is Dockage or a Mooring available during the event? Due to the scope of the visit, all dockage and moorings at Sail Newport will be taken. We are contacting the various yacht clubs and facilities in Newport to see if discounted moorings/dockage can be made available for stake boats during the event.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate if you are interested.